View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 01:48 PM   #86
Antonioshellz
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

In 2K18 people complained about the "Otto Porter" defense which gave up open 3s in the corner. So it looks like emphasis was place on guarding the corner 3s the following year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselineBakes
The more I mess with it, the more I think the Help D IQ and help D IQ slider does something unintentionally that messes with what we’re all trying to achieve. I go back and forth to default sliders and default plays a better game overall but still has the occurrence of super poor pick and roll instances. The moment I start plugging in help D sliders/roster edits, it plays well sometimes but it can get REALLY wonky more times than even on default.

Something is very screwy with this. I think the problem lies with trying to solve this with the defender on-ball and the defender off-ball when the real issue is that the weak side defender doesn’t show and rotate often enough. That coupled with no force field makes the off-ball defender on the drop down not helpful anyway.

Pick and roll defense was really solid in, I want to say 2K18, the big would hedge and the weak side would drop over. The drive and kick was awesome and you’d get three point opportunities from the proper spaces that an nba offense would. 2K19 and 2k20 it seems wanted to protect the corner three at all cost and the defense to the pick and roll changed to massive amounts of body ups and bumping. The game this year is much more free flowing and with less body ups you can just run to the rim freely and without the weak side defense rotating properly it’s a PIP nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app