View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
hitman87
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Barcelona Revolution (FIFA 21)

June 22, 2020
An Historic First: Barcelona Locks Up Suárez

FC Barcelona has found their man. Make that Woman.

Maria Suárez was unveiled today as the surprise new manager of FC Barcelona, despite the concerns of the fans and the Barcelona press in recent days. The ousting of president Josep Maria Bartomeu meant there was cleaning up to do inside the Nou Camp, and the ascension of Valentina Ryan as club president was a sure thing at best. This deal has finally put fans' minds at ease and many agreed she was the best candidate for the club, as Suárez is the first female manager in FC Barcelona history and the first coach of any major sports league.

One optimistic fan said; “The manager looks like a good choice to me and I think she might be exactly what we need. We need to go back to the days of Cruyff and Guardiola, and she might be the one to do just that. Hopefully she can help provide the club with good results. As long as we are winning the fans will love her.”

Ms. Ryan seemed to echo that sentiment. “We are going through lots of changes at Barcelona considering the change in management and we are convinced that Maria Suárez is the right choice to lead this club, inspire our players and bring happiness to our fans.”

A club spokesperson said that the board was “happy” with their choice after the long interview process. Speculation surrounded various candidates for the job but it seems that Ms. Suárez was the best choice in the eyes of the club's board of directors, especially Ms. Ryan, who was a fervent supporter of equality in not only the business, but also the sports world as well.
“Maria used to train me at La Masia when I came to Barcelona. She's a very smart and ambitious individual that believes in women's empowerment in sports,” said Ms. Ryan. “Most managers in LaLiga is male, so why not bring in a woman who can not only work with the players, but also have ties to FC Barcelona as well?”

With the press keen to hear more both Ms. Ryan and Ms. Suárez were on hand to give their views.

“I couldn't imagine leaving FC Barcelona after everything they have done for me and my family,” said Suárez. “I would like to thank Valentina, who I worked with when she was at La Masia and played for the women’s team, and members of the board for believing in me and allowing me to take this opportunity to manage the first team of FC Barcelona.”

A statement from the FC Barcelona board about the hiring of Ms. Suárez says the following: “We are here to help support and build the club. Of all the candidates that were on our shortlist Ms. Suárez was the one we really wanted. She is simply the right person for the job.”
Mr. Miramontes felt that this was “a reset point for the club to rebuild” and that the new manager would go on to “provide the success the fans crave.” Fan groups expressed their reservations but were prepared to give the new manager a chance.

Ms. Suárez, 38, comes home to FC Barcelona after spending 3 years as an assistant manager of the United States women's national team. Ms. Suárez comes with minimal management experience, but the club's board of directors were impressed with her interview. Ms. Ryan didn't reveal the transfer budget that would be available to the new manager, however she suggested that he would make available funds for the club to be competitive in LaLiga and the UEFA Champions League.

Ms. Suárez shares the club's vision of developing a core group of youth players to carry the club forward while at the same time building relationships with the veteran players on the squad. In her introductory press conference, Ms. Suárez stated her intent to help the club to not only win the league title, but also the Copa de España and set her ambitions on winning the UEFA Champions League in the long term. She also began plans to utilize La Masia, FC Barcelona's academy, better than any coach before her.

“She shares our vision for the future and wants to help us succeed in any way,” the board's statement continued.

“You couldn't ask for a better manager to make great use of La Masia and develop new faces of Barcelona football. Ms. Suárez spent most of her life in the academy and developed her talent there,” said Ms. Ryan. “That speaks volumes. With Messi not getting any younger it might be time to develop new stars in Barcelona. The time is right on our side to dominate in LaLiga and beyond.”

As a player, Ms. Suárez spent 7 years playing as a central forward/striker for Futbol Club Barcelona Femení from 1999 to 2006. Over her 7 year career she earned 211 caps, scoring 30 goals, and added 41 assists. Ms. Suárez earned 58 caps for the Spanish women's national team, scoring 11 goals and adding 17 assists throughout her career. After her playing days were over, she attended the Johan Cruyff Institute in Amsterdam, Netherlands for four years. Graduating with a coaching degree, she returned to Barcelona worked as their Head of Youth Football in 2010. In 2016, she joined the United States Women's National team as an assistant manager.

Ms. Suárez was highly regarded as a youth coach and developer of top talent, rumor has it that Ajax were attempting to hire her as director of their famous youth academy back in 2017, but that fell through. Once she got her coaching card, Ms. Suárez began researching different tactics, different systems, especially Total Football, the football philosophy which former FC Barcelona manager and legendary Dutch player Johan Cruyff was a proponent of, and Ms. Suárez is a Cruyffista at heart. She is also a fervent follower of Pep Guardiola and the tactics he brought to FC Barcelona.

Outside of football, Ms. Suárez is also an accomplished belly dancer, learning from her mother at an early age. She can be dancing up a storm at home or at the local clubs in Barcelona.
FC Barcelona's team and fans though were left to ponder on the recent choice to appoint Ms. Suárez as manager. Even though many would say that the new manager is not qualified enough it seems that the board is firmly backing her.

“Maria is bright, new, and ambitious. Look up Pep Guardiola, her childhood hero and mentor during his time at this club. When you find someone that's able to offer something fresh to the table, you have to take that chance and then back them,” said Ms. Ryan. “By bringing Ms. Suárez back into the Barcelona fold where she got her start at Futbol Club Barcelona Femení, the women's side of FC Barcelona, we hope to start a whole new chapter and begin to build the team the fans deserve.”

The hiring of Ms. Suárez earned praise from pundits and fans alike. With her arrival at FC Barcelona some football pundits consider her to be one of the most promising managers in football. She was confident that despite being a newcomer, the club would not regret giving the job to someone with so little experience. But her appointment will no doubt bring confidence, ambition and fearlessness to the Barcelona locker room.