View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
infamyice
MVP

infamyice's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: 808s N' Fastbreaks

...The Reset Button...
Johan returned home, back to Newark after receiving news of his mother’s passing. The Vasquez family were kind enough to assist Johan with the process of putting his mother’s life to rest. Mrs. Vasquez and his mother were more than neighbors, best of friends to be exact. With Johan’s journey to the west, the two have been pleasant company. With everything arranged, Johan says his final goodbye to his former home and neighbors, who welcomed him anytime he’s in town. Johan spends the rest of the summer crashing at Erick’s place for a while. His stay would soon come to an end as he didn’t want to overstay his welcome.

“Good morning.” “Hey, good morning bro, slept alright?” “Got a massive headache, feels like I’ve been hit by bus.” “Yeah well, you blacked out after your 5th bottle last night. Didn’t think you’d be that light of a drinker after some college time under your belt. No party time in San Francisco?” “Nah man, just all work you can say.” “Sit down man, got some extra breakfast, I’ll whip you up something.” “Thanks.”

Johan takes his seat at the table, mulling over the newspaper before a text message came in. It was from his agent along with two missed calls, “Swing by the office, got some things to go over with you. Important stuff.”

“Here you go man.” Erick hands off a plate to Johan. “Thanks man, appreciate this.” “No problem. You finish with that paper?” “Oh, yeah.” “So, what’s on the agenda for you today? Your phone’s been buzzing all morning since you been out.” “Yeah, I got few missed calls, several actually. My agent wants me to swing by the office, said he got some stuff he wants to talk about.” “Hopefully it’s something big bro.” “Likewise. This pandemic has not been easy for any of us, but it looks like the sports industry is slowly coming back after finding a system to keep everyone safe. You working late tonight?” “Yeah, got a few cars to work on at the shop. This ‘68 Mustang is taking priority, been waiting nearly a month for parts to come in. I’m actually heading out in a few, so I’ll leave the key with you.” “Alright. I’ll get my mess cleaned up and hit the road as well...”

Few hours later, Johan made his way over to his agent’s office in Jersey City. Seen on the telephone, Johan knocks on the window, being waved in just as quickly. “Hey Sidney, how’s everything?” “Just the man I wanted to see. How are you?” “I’m okay... With everything that’s going on, I’m maintaining.” “Yeah, I’m glad you’re doing okay. I know you’ve been under tremendous stress of late. You know, with the passing of your mother, dealing and adjusting to this pandemic, much alone remaining safe yourself. I’ve delayed some news as long as I could to give you time to do what was needed.” “Thank you for that, it’s much appreciated. But you got some things to talk to me with? Hopefully it’s something good?” “Well, I wouldn’t be doing my job if it wasn’t good. So, let's get into it.” Sidney takes a seat on his desk and lays out some options. “Alright, here’s where we are. School is out, professional sports have resume.” “Right...” “What we want to do is put you on the right path to further your career, assuming you want to continue playing.” “Of course, this is what I live for. My mom made many sacrifices to see that I come this far. We’re to see this through.”

“Music to my ears. So, option number one, return to San Francisco for another season or finish out there and head for the draft.” “Option number two?” “You can leave college behind and play in the G League.” Johan sat in quiet, mulling his options in thought. “Johan, either option is no wrong path. Finish school, get your education, bide your time then try the pros. All the media outlets would be circulating around after that tremendous season you had last season. But God forbid you get hurt, not only it’ll hurt your stock, but your chances in the NBA. Nobody is going to be too willing to take on an injury-risk investment.”

“Okay, I see your point.”

“On the other hand, you can play in the G League, you’ll have a contract. You’ll get paid. You’ll put a roof over your head, food in your belly. Times is hard and people are strapped for cash in this crumbling economy. It would be very wise to get what you can right now, secure a part of your future if nothing else. Plenty of players make it to the NBA through the G League. I want to know will you be one of them.”

“Alright, so let’s say I chose to play in the G League, how would that process work?” “Normally, you put up a sign-up fee and go through the try-out trials. But given the circumstances that is, there won’t be any try-outs or invitations this year as they’ve been cancelled." “So, explain to me how playing in the G League now is more beneficial when there’s no try-outs this year.” “I know a guy in the G League office, he owes me a favor and I'm sure he’d like to make good on that debt.” “So, this connect of yours can bypass protocols and magically make things happen.” “Don’t sound so skeptical. He’s the president of the G League after all, Shareef Abdur-Rahim.” “No way!” “You didn’t know?” “Nah, I didn’t know he was G League President, much alone you shake hands with the guy.” “One: I shake hands with a lot of people. Two: Know your personnel.” “Duly noted.”

“Now, the two options before you are predetermined. Go back to San Francisco. Or you can go to Stockton, play for the Kings’ G League affiliate team, the Stockton Kings. Shareef has strong ties there, so getting you in will be a synch. You will not be signed to the Sacramento Kings; however, you will be listed as a free agent for any NBA team to sign. Whether you step foot back on campus or in the G League, your choices afterwards are solely up to you.”

“... That’s a lot. That’s a lot to mull over. I can definitely see the benefits from both options, so that makes it even harder. Education or a contract above all else. But I’ve made my decision...” With Johan making a return to the basketball scene, training regiments, dietary, and covid testing protocols were in order. In a string of events over the years, Johan has lost a lot. But with this given time and place, some luck was in order for the young upstart...