View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 05:15 AM   #8
jk31
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I have had it with the way 2k treats the Pacers roster

And again, rotations is only the beginning of how they treat rosters, especially of "small market teams" so badly.

I mean maybe this is just the eye test, where I am wrong and the numbers back up 2ks claim for some of their ratings, or they are wrong in so many ways, I don't know. I bet Rashidi knows more about that.

But just looking at the Pacers roster:

Myles Turner is slow as **** in the game. In real life he is relatively fast in the open court and often times is able to get chase down blocks. Not possible at all in the game. On the other hand they somehow gave him around 80 for the post ratings. Myles Turner has no footwork in the post at all. He sometimes is able to get up some strange looking shots and make them, but he is not good in the post. With his 32 Acceleration and 32 Speed with Ball I also bet, that it is near to impossible to do what he does in real life to some extent now: Beat man off the dribble from the 3pt line and finish at the rim.

Going to the other big Domantas Sabonis: This season he dribbles the ball a lot. Sometimes he even brings the ball up the court. He has a very good footwork and quick feet, too. And he is making claims for maybe being the 2nd best big man passer behind Nikola Jokic. What does that make? Oh, right, 26 Speed with Ball and 51 Pass IQ. We can debate about 44 Acceleration and 48 Speed but I would say he is not a slow truck but actually relatively agile and quick on his feet.

Doug McDermott is a one dimensional 3pt shooter according to 2k. At least they buffed his inside scoring a bit, giving him 88 shot close and 77 layup. In real life? He scores most of his points out of smart cuts and dribble penetration through dunks and layups. With his speed of 59, speed with ball of 47 and and acceleration of 53, well good luck in trying to beat your opponent, even when he jumped on a fake. On the other side, while he is not a good individual defender, I would call him at least a solid team Defender. Yet all of his defense ratings are in the 50s. He also rebounds the ball on a career high number of 4.3 rebounds per game. Here I have to admit I have a hard time in finding out, what other SF/small ball 4s with a similar body height get for comparable rebound ratings. Maybe I am exaggerating this part.

TJ McConnell is one of the fastest PGs I have seen suit up for the Pacers in recent years. I would even compare him to Darren Collison in that regard. I would be okay with 2k giving him an average speed rating for a PG. I dunno....80? Still kinda slow, but okay. But they give him horrible 70 speed and 76 acceleration. On top of that he also has only 76 lateral quickness.

I could go on with stuff like that...

Additionally I also get the impression that the single groups working at 2k don't communicate with each other. In specific on topic of this thread I mean the roster group/guy and the gameplay team.

In our league, we play on superstar with increased 3pt sliders as else most people will be non relevant from 3pt range. Even then you will see a big decline for players featuring no/few badges and/or hot zones. General word in our league is: If you don't have shooting badges, you need a very, very high rating (at least mid 80s) to even hit somewhat consistently.

I mean isn't the thinking process of 2k to get players to somewhat replicate their real life counterparts? And don't they have some kind of "formulars" for determining something like 3pt ratings? (Just throwing in some numbers as example, the exact correlation might be different) So if a player hits like 36% from deep 2k will give him some rating from 78-82. If this player does NOT have badges and hotzones, you will not be able to hit 36% in the game, and it will be more like below 30%.
Examples? Raul neto shot 38.6% last season and received a 84 3pt rating. But he has no shooting badges at all. In the recent season of our online league (where we used out of the box rosters), he finished with an absymal 3pt percentage of 18.2% with around the same volume as in real life.
Myles Turner shot 34.4% last season resulting in a 75 rating. With his only badges pick and popper and pump fake maestro not really improving his shooting there, he shot 26% from deep in our recent season.
For the upcoming season I drafted Desmond Bane. Right now he is shooting 48% from 3. With a 3pt rating of "only" 85 (48%!!!!!!) and no shooting badges or hot zones at all, I bet his shooting numbers will be more close to 30% than to 50%.

So either must the gameplay team change how shooting works and give more value to actual shot ratings or the roster team must change how they evaluate players and increase their ratings or give out badges more freely.