Old 02-19-2021, 12:22 AM   #23
bigbob
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: EA Sports College Football FAQ: Here's What to Know So Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyGuy
Also, does anyone here with a legal background explain why it's considered a legal risk to allow roster editing? EA is not allowing it, and given their legal history with this, I kind of get their reluctance. However, Doug Flutie College Football came to the same conclusion and also would not allow player editing.

How is a company liable if they allow their game to be edited and people do whatever on their own devices? That has never made sense to me. Even if we know the majority of people will use real rosters (and logos if you allow generic team editing), people can do make completely fictional rosters and teams. A legal and alternative use for an editing function is not just plausible, it can be demonstrated and verified.

Why is it a legal problem? I am neither a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.
It is one of those "You knew but did nothing to stop it" kind of situations. Like if someone was at my job doing something wrong, and I knew but did not tell anyone or try to stop it, I would most likely be held accountable, too.

It sucks, but it is the easiest way for EA not to fall into one of those garbage traps of someone who could not make it in their professional sport, so they file a lawsuit.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra using Operation Sports mobile app

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame