Old 02-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #6
dbekoscke
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Show on PS4 Pro vs PS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
My only point against the PS5 is due to the shortage, and my pure hatred of scalping (I'd get into why, but that requires some economist-talk).

Don't buy a scalped system.

Otherwise, if you were planning on getting a PS5 anyways, I see no reason not to. The PS4 to PS5 console generation upgrade is more like a PC upgrade then a brand new device. Most of your old stuff will work on it, just better and faster.

It's not like PS3 to PS4, or PS2 to PS3. Those were very different devices with very different hardware architectures. PS4 to PS5 has the exact same hardware (and software) architecture. It just has flat out better hardware. It's more called a PS5 because their will be games that can be played on it that can't on the PS4, but in most other respects it's very much like the PS4 pro was to the launch PS4. It's a simple hardware upgrade.
I agree... don't buy scalped PS5. Don't support their terrible practices.

If you are able to find a legitimate PS5, pull the trigger. Following some of the Twitter accounts that specifically watch for PS5 drops helps TREMENDOUSLY! That's how I was able to get my PS5 two weeks ago (Playstation Direct).

My opinion of buying the PS5 now, vs waiting a year or three.... in a year or three (especially with the high demand and limited production/availability of next gen hardware parts) the PS5 will still probably be 399/499. Consoles really only get price drops when sales start to decline (in order to rejuvenate cash flow).

I got my PS5 specifically to play MLBTS21. BUT as mentioned previously, I can play all my PS4 games as well, with smoother performance and increased visual fidelity (so it's a win/win). I can't really think of a reason to wait.

In fact, there is much speculation going around the interwebs that finding and buying a next gen console will actually get much harder as this year goes on, and it may not improve until 2022. Reasoning behind this is that the various chip manufacturer's are stretched thin with their production. These chip manufacturer's have to choose who to build hardware for and smartphones represent a much larger (and profitable) slice of the money pie versus game consoles (which represent a fraction of total market share when compared to smartphones).

TLDR: if you have the money, buy a PS5 when you can.