View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #17
illwill10
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: A look at what has changed with EA football since NCAA 14's release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Your 2k example is spot on. Seeing the player animate real time, then everyone moving to the free throw line, then the shots happening, and the game continuing on all in real time is infinitely better than the cur scene way of doing things. Even when the game gets wonky and players do something goofy in real time, it is still more immersive and a better experience than any cut scene can provide.

I'd rather watch two guys bump into each other like idiots in real time than see the same 8 cut scenes game after game. And to make matters worse, EA hardly has any variety to the cut scenes. When an "assistant" appears, they are always the same model with the same outfit no, every cut scene plays out the same exact way every time with only the uniform and players changing. That's it.

It's not the better way of doing things. Real time will always be the better way even if there are quirky moments. How many times have any of us that play 2k seen the ref just throw the basketball into a player for an inbound and the player not react. Then the ref runs and gets the ball, moves back, and tries it again? I know in 2k8 it happened quite a bit and it still happened some in 2k20. All that did was make me laugh for 1 second then it was back to game time and the next 10 minutes all looked great playing real time.

I don't know if EA is afraid of going real time, simply doesn't care, or what, but I wish they would go that direction immediately even if it was quirky.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Is it probably a engine issue? I think a lack of better physics engine really limits what they can do. Since the start of 7th generation, they heavily relied on 2 man animations and scripted outcomes based on dice rolls probabilities. I really want them to get away from that. I haven't played NCAA 14 in 16 months, but I remember i couldn't run certain deep zones coverages. That's because there was a scripted outcomes against streaks. For some reason the CB would backpeddle 5 years towards the middle of the field then realize it was a streak then retreat towards the WR and give up an automatic TD every time.

EA really needs to go away from the Frostbite and have a dedicated sports game engine.