trekfan
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Orange and Blue Forever: A Florida Gators Dynasty

System/Game: RPCS3/NCAA Football 14 College Football Revamped
Mode: Dynasty
Rosters: 2020 Roster Set by vikesfan

Starting Point: Post-2020 Bowl Game (simmed the 2020 year)
Sliders: Custom — offense on Heisman, defense on All America, fatigue off, injuries on, 40 player threshold speed. CPU/User sliders adjusted as needed (in general the CPU is about 3-5 points higher in sliders).

Quarter Length: 8 Minutes

Coach Progression: Normal

My coach is at a normal progression and comes from a smaller-school, so he has about 10 skills or so to start off, all recruiting. I won’t be maxing out any of his skill trees (leaving certain skill completely empty, like “Insta-Commit” or any of the game management ones) and may reset his skills at the end of the year in the future to provide more of a challenge or, potentially, may have him “Retire” and put a new coach in place (running a new system).

House Rules:

After my first dynasty attempt after many years away, Coach Silver, I stepped back for a few months and researched the hell out of some house rules — I dominated WAYYYYY easy with Coach Silver, thanks to how amazing I recruited and my own abilities in game. I’m now running the new CFBR mod (V10) and that’s helped give the CPU a fighting chance on my custom sliders but the bottom line is that a user will ALWAYS be superior to the CPU (unless you want to punish yourself and max out the CPU sliders while zeroing out your own, but where’s the fun in that).

As such, I have instituted the following house rules — note, I will change these as I go on if it’s too hard or easy, to find the best balance. Any suggestions are welcome.

GENERAL RULES:

1. Any player declaring MUST leave after the 1st offseason – if a player declares after the 1st offseason (so in offseason year 2 or beyond), I must let them go. Doesn’t matter if they’re a 7th round pick or not, if they want the cash, go get the cash.

2. Schedule MUST rank at least B+ in difficulty – I’m not here to play (many) patsy schools. My schedule must be tough in order to impress the pollsters and get my program to the top of the mountain.

3. Opening game must be a top-25 opponent every-other year, minimum – my school must schedule a tough opener every other season (starting in year 1).

4. If Academic Juniors or Seniors are (Year 3 edit, originally 96) 98 overall or above after training camps, they must be “transferred” (cut) to another school out of conference; this will prevent 99 overall players on my roster and force me to develop younger players, and also simulate the “transfer portal” effect we see now where good players go elsewhere for many reasons. May drop the overall minimum, increase it, or remove this rule entirely as I go on, this is a rather experimental idea.

5. Not allowed to use Locksmith tool.

COACH RULES:

A certain amount of games MUST be simmed, based on coach level — max level is 54 (Nick Saban). The higher the level, the more games allowed to play — 54 allows a MAX of 9 regular season games with the ability to play either the full conference title game OR the bowl game. Breakdown of level and rules associated with it are below — all subject to change in the future if needed.

1. MAX level 54=9 games (Full Conference Title OR Bowl Game):

You are on the Saban level — you may trade in two of your regular season games for the second postseason game (trade in must be done by Week 6 of regular season).

2. Between 43-53=8 games (2nd half of Conference Title Games AND Bowl Games can be played)
3. Between 32-42=8 games (4th quarter of conference title game can be played AND 4th quarter of bowl game can be played)
4. Between 21-31=7 games (4th quarter of conference title game can be played OR 4th quarter of bowl game can be played)
4. Between 10-20=7 games (4th quarter of bowl game can be played)
5. Between 1-9=6 games (no conference title or bowl game can be played)

In order to decide which regular season games to play, I must use a random number generator to roll - 1-15. If it lands on a bye week, re-roll.

RECRUITING RULES:

1. Can only recruit based on how many seniors+2 — so if 12 seniors, you get 14 recruits.

2. Only 2 ATH — this to avoid abusing their amazing versatility.

STORY LINES:

I have developed a method to assign random storylines to players at the beginning of the season. At the beginning of each year I roll between 1-10 using a random number generator. That determines the number of “storylines” my team will have in a given year.

So, say for instance I roll a 5 at the beginning of the year – that means I have 5 storylines I must choose for my team. I’ve composed a list of 99 of the most common college storylines you can get – from training camp accidents, arrests, injuries (sending guys to the bottom of the depth chart to remove any chance of play time), suspensions, academic issues … you get the gist.

Since I rolled a 5, that means I have 5 attempts in the 1-99 random number generator. For each attempt, I have to choose a position group (there are QBs, RBs, FBs, WRs, TEs, Ts, Gs, Cs, DEs, DTs, OLBs, MLBs, CBs, FS, SS, K, P — so 17 in total) for that storyline to take place.

So, I rolled a 5, I then roll 1-99 and it lands on #29 — suspension. I then roll for the position group, 1-17, and it lands on 7 — so one of my guards is about to get suspended. I then look to see total number of guards, set the number generator 1-maximum number (let’s say 6), and it lands on 2 — that means my second best guard must be suspended.

I then roll 1-15 (number of weeks in season) to see how long that storyline plays out, and that guard is suspended for that amount of time. Certain storylines carry additional consequences to be enforced in the offseason (so if it’s an academic suspension, I lose 5 scholarships for next season, or a devastating injury, my player may transfer out or quit football altogether, etc).

It’s kinda a long math problem but it adds a good bit of flavor to the proceedings.

BOWL GAMES:

Beginning of every year, I must roll 1-10 “Sit out Players” who will sit out the bowl game for draft reasons/healing reasons. Must be eligible to be drafted, so academic juniors or seniors only. Once 1-10 rolled, roll number (1-99) — player jersey number nearest to number sits out; if no player near number, re-roll.

And with that out of the way … welcome! I’m trekfan, a frequent poster of dynasties over in the basketball side of the forum, and a lifelong, diehard fan of one team and one team alone: the Florida Gators. After trying to do a proper dynasty before with Coach Silver (and dominating far easier than I wanted to), I’ve reset things here. This dynasty will be a mix of straight up reporting on games/recruiting (fake articles and such), short story posts from the perspectives of major characters in the dynasty (our head coach and others), and some video highlights (included with the recaps mostly).

I’m hopeful that with the new house rules I have here, plus the advances the CFBR mod has made to CPU game logic (which has led to a few shockingly close games), I will be able to make a worthy, challenging (but fun and entertaining) football dynasty based on my all-time favorite team.

As always, any and all comments are welcome, hope you enjoy!

Last edited by trekfan; 04-18-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove