Old 05-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #6
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Upcoming 2K Football Game Delayed Until at Least 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Makes me wonder if it is just a playgrounds game. Cannot imagine that game would be so complicated it would need a delay unless I am missing something.
Eh. Making games is hard.

Ignoring the specifics of the game mechanics entirely, we can reasonably agree that 2K's game is most likely one featuring:

- striking (possibly not photo-realistic) 3D graphics which will impress on PS5 / XBOX Series X
- motion-captured animations
- real-time physics calculations when in-game actors collide
- original foley and licensed library audio for sound effects
- prominent placement of licensed assets (the NFL teams and NFLPA players) which require third-party approvals
- either licensed audio for music (which requires more third-party approvals) or original music composed in-house
- online head-to-head game modes with real-time gameplay (as opposed to turn-based or asynchronous)
- a live service which frequently delivers new content into the game, and
- a microtransaction-based in-game economy

Even with just those things - we haven't even put the specifics of football in that feature set, whatever style you want it to be, much less a season or a franchise mode - you're for sure looking at a two or three year dev cycle and a dev team of at least 100 people, likely more.

Anyway, I anticipated this game would get delayed in the E3 thread, so this announcement doesn't surprise me at all.