View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 01:35 AM   #2
adembroski
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: How does Maddens sim engine differ from NFL HC09 or other text based sims?

It's the same sim engine from Head Coach 09, though the tuning differs a lot.

Personally, I think the problem is that whoever is tuning it is including too many factors in each calculation. So, for example, there's a QB scramble chance that get called when the situation is appropriate. There's specifically a player attribute that governs this, but whoever tuned it included the QBs speed, acceleration, break tackle, all kinds of factors.

When you include 90 different variables, it's very difficult to tune. It's the same problem with progression; you have age, experience, current overall all effecting the XP TNL, plus there is practice, dynamic drive goals, fantasy goals... it's just too many bullets coming from every different direction and you can't get a handle on it all to tune it. The more factors you add, the more likely you water it down to the point of uselessness It makes even less sense when you consider there is literally a factor built into the player that can do it all by itself.

I'm hoping I can dig into the sim engine this year on PC. I'm doubting it because COVID kicked my *** and I have to dig out of a pretty big hole before I can get myself a descent rig again, but I know I'm the only community member really with the experience to do it thoroughly.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.