View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
ILLSmak
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: (Yet Another) Interior Contest Suggestion

"Interior" as in around the rim for bigs.

Altho the contest system is broken, it's especially broken inside because, as mentioned, positioning and timing of contest do matter a bit, and unless you're wide open, it's likely someone with high defensive ability is going to be 'positioned' nearby, leading to a massive contest regardless unless you get a contact dunk.

Once again, the interior game is very low skill on defense (because meta is don't shoot unless you're open or catch an oop anyway), there has to be a way to make fine movements, as are what get you good shots inside, especially going AT the rim, around people, etc.

The only thing artificial about attempting to make shot stick matter (something I suggested years ago btw, balance ((the initial up/down)) and release) was that people were able to exploit it with, basically, hacks.

We're talking about a game where passing consists of pressing a button at the right time. It's COOL for me because I can see things developing and thus drop some crazy dimes, but, that's all it is, one button. Before, you could put it right by someone's ear, but now they made pass steals stronger/automatic(at times), to me, that is an 'artificial fix.'

Was just an idea tho. Guess not. Also this would not be exploitable unless it could macro read where the line is, because there wouldn't be 'straight down contests', as it would depend on shot type.

Not all of us who are bigs want the game to be about standing under the rim. Look at rebounding, as I mentioned, how well you can move people and seal them. Swim around them (without worm), even. I'm 70oreb 80dreb at 6'9 and I can swim around glass cleaners nearly every time (with 9 d badges: gold rim prot, box, reb chaser.) There is nothing like that for post scoring. And yea, as long as people aren't straight dunking on my face, I can make them miss very easily without intimidate badge with "positioning and proper contest." It's not deep at all. It's like they think big man game is for mouth breathers.

So, to reiterate what I said in my first post, the only large skill gap inside is rebounding, where I am familiar with punching way above my class, unless I just get chicken winged by glass cleaner taker over. I'd like it to be way deeper...

-Smak