Old 09-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Mattanite
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Interesting but viable ways to build a franchise team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Levy
I think it'd be absolutely fascinating to run a franchise with the idea of never doing the one thing every single NFL team does: pay the QB. Instead of paying a franchise QB, either draft one every four or five years, try to salvage an aging QB or try to trade for one for a short contract. By not paying the QB you could, in theory, field a more loaded team around him.

It would never happen in real life because that position is so essential to success in football but it would be a fun way to play a franchise in Madden. Especially since you're never guaranteed to be drafting high enough to grab one of the best QBs in the draft if you build your team up and they're loaded outside of signal caller.
The step before that is a real NFL strategy - draft a QB and if you have a superstar then load up a team to capture the window of their rookie deal before you have to pay them. It's a cap management game once you pay the stud QB.

I know guys who use this strategy in user leagues (I'm the Jets for m22 so it's a strategy of mine in season 3+ once Wilson develops too).

Sadly the base XP slider is too high for QBs and gen QBs generally come with too many higher devs in the draft. If you want a more realistic QB ovr spread and not be able to just plug and play new rookie QBs all the time I'd recommend a QB XP slider between 60-70%.