View Single Post
Old 03-05-2022, 01:20 AM   #7
The EVHL
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do We know the Future of This Franchise Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod
Their website provides an idea: Metalhead has been on a wild ride that’s included humble beginnings as a bootstrapped startup in 2009, three major game launches in 2014, 2018, and 2020, and an acquisition by Electronic Arts (EA) in 2021. Now, we’re teaming up with EA SPORTS to grow the Super Mega Baseball franchise, as well as develop new experiences for players worldwide. The word "grow" here is where the question lies. Is it growth as in reaching a wider audience? Or like Rifle_Man81 said by adding the MLB license? We can only speculate at this point.

Their open jobs provide some additional insight. For example, one of the Character Artist openings states "We’re expanding our in-house team so that we can build the next generation of our light-hearted, ultra-customizable athletes (and off-field characters!), both male and female." That defines the characters of SMB, so we can assume the aesthetic will be similar, but not necessarily baseball. The reason I think another sport may be represented is from one of the Animator openings: "Our twitch-input sports games are viscerally paced, stylized and often satirical – but they are also faithful to the sports they represent."

tldr; we can only speculate at this time, but clues are available.
If they're going to a different sport, I'm hoping it's hockey. I know it probably won't be, but a man can dream...