View Single Post
Old 05-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #6
cabralk
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Expansion team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
I did one in MLB 20 and had a decent time doing it.

Obviously it's tough, and it's all a pretty big stretch if you're going for any sort of realism to start your franchise. I feel like I had a thread on the dynasties page, but I can't find it anymore..Here's the basics around what I did though:

-Anybody on the 40 man roster at the time was eligible for a dispersal draft, as long as they weren't a rookie (ie. Wander wouldn't be eligible this year).
-Dispersal draft was the same order as the MLB draft.
-I *tried* to draft in the dispersal draft based on organizational needs for the teams that were drafting.
-At the time, MLBTR was running an expansion draft series, so I followed their protection schemes, and drafted 1 player from each team based on their criteria. Basically made it a 29 players out, 29 players in scenario.
-Their protection list was listed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=262185425
-I kept the Rays farm system. As someone who prefers realism, I think having one of the top farm systems in baseball kind of ruined it for me in the end...I'm sure there's probably a way to go about it, something like you trade off your top 10-15 prospects and just keep drafting eligible players?

It's a shame that they don't run a similar series on MLBTR every year, because it was certainly helpful at the time, and a fun follow in the offseason. I wish I could remember who all I drafted, because if memory serves, it was a pretty godawful team!
Now that the Ridin Roster is out I'm working on a "expansion draft" taking over the Rangers (no particular reason). I watched a video where a guy used the system from the previous expansion draft for TB and Arizona that worked quite nicely. It was 3 rounds to get to 35 players every team could protect 15 players in the first round and the next two rounds they can add 3 to the protection list.

Was wondering how you did yours if you released the players off the roster or you did a swap?