View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 10:09 AM   #5
brunopuntzjones
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: How to Improve Each Single-Player Mode in Diamond Dynasty

As is, I think Showdown is a failed idea. Every challenge is basically the same and the mode is a tedious chore, especially if you come up short. A successful run might only take 30 minutes to an hour but I never really have fun doing it because it’s literally the same every single time. Pitching showdowns might salvage it, I guess, but I’m not optimistic. The key might just be to make them shorter or focus on the final challenge. Maybe make it so you can draft a better squad immediately but also no matter what you go in down 10-20, maybe with more outs remaining.

Moments are kind of a double edged sword. They tried to be creative with them initially but a lot of them were absolutely sadistic in length and difficulty, especially in 2019. Whoever came up with, for example, the Harper “Video Game Numbers” one should be institutionalized. They’ve dumbed them down a lot, which helps make them more palatable but also they’re just kind of the same thing over and over too. But it’s basically fine where it is and I like that they aren’t relying on them as much so far this year. They’re basically in an acceptable place, finally. That said I’ve thought some moments might benefit from a showdown presentation. Instead of repeating one PA ad nauseam until you get a particular type of hit, you get a certain number of outs to get a run or TB or something.

I think ultimately people want to use their teams in full games. They need another 1-2 modes for that. A 9 inning mode would be great. Maybe it could be formatted as a playoff challenge, with rewards for winning each series along the way. Some kind of playlist where you had to lock in an events or BR style roster and complete a playlist with it would be cool too.

The big problem I see with mini-seasons is basing rosters on real players’ DD squads. Later in the year we’re probably going to be facing teams full of the same meta cards over and over. I’d rather have SDS build rosters themselves to ensure variety and maybe tell a story. The Whales and the Cats are already basically the same team and it’s inevitable the others will catch up.
Advertisements - Register to remove