View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
coachmac75
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Grand Tactitian Civil War (Part II)

State of the Union in September 1861

So it is for me unusual to play on the Federal side and I am very surprised to really have a lot of fun and interest trying to keep Union in the states.

Strategic approach

When the secession starts following Abraham Lincoln election in fact the Federal side is not really prepare for war.

So my first concern has been to create and establish forces to on one hand, protect the capital, and, on the other hand, prepare an army in Indiana to invade Tennessee with a clear objective to take Memphis and Nashville by middle of 1862 while securing Missouri and Kentucky to remain part of Union or at least to not support CSA.

So in fact, I am defensive on the East and I prepare to be offensive on the West.

Policies

First the objective is to allow to raise armies, so i developed in few policies to favour militia and enrolment of volunteers for 24 months.
Then I started to try to invest in improving Industries to favour the manufacture of artillery and rifles.
At the same time I have invested in few infrastructures mostly to prepare hospitals and supply depot near what i could anticipate as combat zones.

This, and raising a bit more than 150k soldiers with some weapons investment has been achieved with a significant increase of national debt. So I am currently investing in policies to not deteriorate anymore an already fragile BBB- credit rating.

Armies

I have basically organsied a few armies with a little bit more than 150k soldiers fielded all over the counrty.
On the East I have pushed the rebels behind the Rappahanoc river. I have basically 3 armies:
  • Army of Potomac under command of General George McCllelan with about 50k soldiers around Mannassas which aims to cover Washington.
  • Army of Shenandoah under command of General Robert Patterson protect the access to Shenandoah valley through Winchester VA.
  • Army of West Virginia (newly formed) is a small Cavalry corp of around 7k under command of General Timothy Andrews and is preparing a flanking movement through Shenandoah to threaten and harass rebels supply lines.

On the West I raised around 50k soldiers under General Irvin McDowell which prepare an attack on Nashville, while a smaller force of about 8k under general Ambrose Burnside is threatening Memphis from Cairo IL.

At the same time General William Harney became famous while defeating rebels forces in Missouri with a small army of 20k soldiers securing St louis and preventing Missouri to join the confederation.

Fleets

On the seas I basically scraped the river capabiolity of the federal navy to reduce maintenance costs and focused on repairing vessels to impose blockade of the main southern harbours.

By September 1861, Norfolk is blocked while I am almost ready to send a couple of fleets to block Charleston and Savannah.

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace

Last edited by coachmac75; 06-17-2022 at 09:08 PM.