Old 09-07-2022, 05:20 PM   #6
Hooe
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Mistakes In Video Game Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
This got me to thinking, specifically about Madden. How do we feel about simulated mistakes in a Madden football game? For example, lets say you go into replay to watch a play, you're on defense and your MLB is suppose to be playing an area in zone coverage...and on the play he does something contrary to what his assignment is. Would we look at it as boneheaded AI or the fact that his Awareness is 60 and Play Recognition is 65?
We already know how Tiburon feels about on-field players performing behavior different from user expectations based on how match coverage as it exists in Madden has been back-seated in Madden 23.

The specific reason all zones are spot drop by default this year is specifically due to widespread user feedback that the defensive players were not performing assignments indicated by the play art. The play art for all the match coverage plays still shows off spot-drop zones, but obviously match coverages do not spot drop. This disparity was confusing users, they complained loudly, and in the short term it means simplified pass defense in Madden.

Given this apparently widespread expectation by users that an on-player will always attempt to correctly perform their assignment from the play called in the huddle, I doubt we see things like receivers running the wrong routes, running backs missing handoffs, DBs attempting to jump route combinations in zone coverage, or defensive players flat-out playing the wrong assignment.

Additionally, until Tiburon creates better visual language for player assignments and builds better football knowledge teaching tools into Madden, I think this expectation that players always perform the assignment on the play art also limits what complex real-life football concepts can appear in Madden; not only pattern match coverage, but also banjo coverages, box coverages, linebacker fiddle techniques (albeit this is actually built in to Cover 1 Hole in Madden 23 still), cloudy-or-clear reads in run support, and so on.