View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 03:47 PM   #9
scitychamps87
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers

Here’s my general impressions after 1 game on my usual All-Star default settings:

1. Crowd sounds a lot better. New presentational upgrades are mostly visual and audio rather than commentary. But, the atmosphere does seem to capture the rumble of an arena and on ice noises better.

2. Ice and arenas look fantastic as well as lighting. Player hair could look better — still doesn’t capture the “flow” of today’s hockey players.

3. Neutral zone play seems a good bit better and AI seems to be a bit more aggressive. Shots were actually even, which almost never happens for me. I usually outshoot the AI 2-1.

4. Goalie movement seems better, but that being said the same easy backhand cheese goal out in front is still doable on All-Star difficulty at quite a regular rate (tested in free skate with MacKinnon and scored 5 straight goals).

5. Menus largely identical to NHL 22.

In short, the improvements feel good. Each year it feels more like real hockey. Presentation is improved and more realistic in terms of atmosphere, however commentary still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of storytelling. Gameplay has an NHL feel but old cheese is still present. A typical EA iteration of an annual release - steps forward, not back, but not a leap either.

Take that through whatever lens you will. Some people like me love hockey so much they’ll still buy the game each year (even if we wait for a sale). Others wait. Others don’t buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--