Old 05-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #20
Misfit
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Comic Book Fans....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
well I loved the movie... maybe I'll check out the Graphic Novels

Other than that... are there any good superhero comics that less mainstream? I guess Iron Man sounds like a good thing to check into...

Does Deadpool have a comic? Or is he just a villian in the X-Men universe?

I'm not really sure whats considered mainstream. The Ultimates 2 has had a great run which is basically a take on the Avengers in Marvel's Ultimate Universe (so its Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, Giant-Man and a few others). The New X-Men comic has been getting rave reviews lately as well and I doubt you'd be familiar with any of the characters in there. A friend of mine raves about the Savage Dragon series and Blood of the Demon. I've never read them though, but he is a huge comic book guy.

A non-mainstream trade that is really good would be The Watchmen. They're currently planning a movie based around it so expect it to eventually be catapaulted into the mainstream much like Sin City was. It is a very good read though and the entire story is contained in one trade so its not a long-term commitment.

Deadpool currently has an on-going series with Cable. I haven't read it though so I don't know if its any good.

As far as I know, the Civil War arc is about the superhuman/mutant registration act that divides the superhero community. It follows a storyline in which the Avengers were disassembled and the X-Men going through their Decimation arc (the aftermath of last summer's House of M plotline in which the majority of the mutant population was left powerless, including Magneto and Xavier). The leaders of each side being promoted looks to be Captain America (with some allies being Wolverine and Human Torch) and Iron Man (who appears to have Spider-Man, Colossus and others on his side). It is just starting so I don't know much more than what the teaser ad's have given away (I avoid reading plot spoilers on the web, which Marvel seems to love releasing for some reason). There are some trailers for the event here that don't give anything away: http://www.marvel.com/news/-1.380

Last edited by Misfit; 05-14-2006 at 12:23 PM.