View Single Post
Old 06-13-2006, 07:58 AM   #23
Flamehead
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: I Played Madden 360 @ Circuit City...And Kind of Liked It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
A few years ago I saw Madden show disgust on an ESPN special at how football was being portrayed in his game. It was the year jetpacking reigned; where both teams could regularly score 70+pts a game in 5min qtrs. He seemed more upset about it than the devs interviewed seemed to be.
I remember seeing this too. It reminds me of the history of Madden where he refused to lend his name to the product during the initial video football gaming presentation, saying "if it ain't 11 on 11, it ain't real football". They had to go back and code 22 players on the field before he'd sign up with them.

So even back then, the mentality seemed to be about "arcade" football rather than real football, which sadly, appears to continue to this day with the jetpacking from a few years ago, etc. (It's almost like they said "make it fun by allowing them to score 100+ a game. Players want to score!" Hey programmers? How about "players want to play a realistic version of football"?

I wonder how many other things Madden's seen throughout the years that's bothered him that we just haven't heard about?