View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
JayoD
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Question for the Roster Makers/Updaters/Editors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmo23
I wouldn't change it at all, especially if you're talking about overall ratings. I've played 11 seasons with 4 friends in franchise, and the one thing we all have come to realize is that in this game, some players just play better than others regardless of overall. Whether it's certain attributes like consistency or composure, the overall rating never tells the whole story.

With that said, if you MUST change their ratings to reflect starter status, I guess you could go with composure/consistency/leadership. Consistency in particular makes the biggest difference in overall rating.

What I absolutely do NOT believe in is changing ratings that shouldn't be changed, i.e. making a player faster than he should be. Is it fair for me to speed up Larry Johnson just because he became the starter? I mean, his speed rating was based on his 40-time, so he shouldn't be any faster in the game than he is in real life. Stuff like that, I try to avoid because it throws off the balance of the game more than you think.

In the OSCD roster for example, we compensated for this by increasing all the composure/leadership/consistency ratings for the top players. Look across the board at all the leaders of every team, and you'll see they have really ratings in these areas.

But I personally do not believe that players with higher overall ratings are always better, since any long time player knows that it's just not true. So really, I focus more on editing players so that they play like their real life counterparts, not just so they are comparatively on point. That usually leads to an unbalanced roster full of biased ratings.
I see what you mean. Although, there's a natural progression from one season to another. Off season is actually the time where players get better. They train to get stronger and faster...and just learning the nuances of the position makes them better.

I'll go with the consistency slider tho...although in some instances...like in OLB Shawne Merriman's case for example. He didn't sit idle all summer. He went through an intense workout regimen. The coaching staff and anyone who's seen the little mini-camps and offseason coaching sessions...have commented on how low his bodyfat is compared to last season
(his weight seems to be the same). As a result of all that...he's stronger and faster than ever.

It's actually a tricky situation tho... I mean should I change his strength and speed? And how much should I change it? Another example is C Nick Hardwick...he packed on 30 lbs of muscle in order to match up with the bigger DTs. His strength should be improved but did the extra weight decrease his quickness? It's just an example cuz it was reported he didn't lose any of his speed. I was just throwing it out there.

Anyways...good post Flipmo23. I agree with not changing attributes to reflect their positioning on the depth chart. I think the biggest obstacle is the change in their ratings just by them learning the position and the game overall. I mean...players improve all the time. They improve their tackling...they improve their coverage...they improve runing routes....they even increase their arm strength. The problem is how would you incorporate that into the roster edits?