Old 08-05-2006, 01:23 AM   #850
NYJets
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: The 2006 New York Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak
I am glad you guys are confident because I am not sold on this team yet. When we get into the playoffs, which by no means is a given, can our pitching be effective enough in a short series? If not can the bats overcome the pitching's shortcommings? I just dont think they can. Seen this too many times in my life. And I will say it again, I still dont think the Yanks will win another WS until Cash and George decide to let the farm system build itself up again. There have been just too many similarities to this era as to the 82-93 years. Some of you may not have been alive or just very young but those years were not too good. Always trading away our best prospects for overpaid, overrates players. I mean Danny Tartabull and Steve "BYE BYE" Balboni just to name a few. I just cant let myself get my hopes up, that way if they crasy again, its easier to handle.
Our pitching isn't that bad.

Mussina has been an ace this year. Wang has been very good as well. Johnson has been ok since his early struggles. Occasionally he'll have a day when he has nothing, but he's been pretty good in 8 of his last 10 starts. Not terrible for a 3rd starter. 4th starter is a bigger question mark, but maybe Lidle can help us there, and if not Wright is usually good enough to keep you in the game for 5 innings. What teams have much better pitching than that? Twins are a definite. Tigers are too, but who knows how their young guys will do in the post season. I think our pitching matches up pretty well with the rest of the playoff contenders.

I don't think there's any team out there that doesn't have a lot of question marks this year.

As for the 2nd part of your post, we have an all star 2nd baseman from the farm system, and a solid #2-#3 starter for years to come, both from last year. Melky has come up this year and done a good job. We have one of, if not the best pitching prospects in baseball in Hughes. Farm system isn't great, but it's getting better.