View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
SPTO
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Three groups interested in bringing CFL back to Ottawa

Some selections from the TSN.CA article then my thoughts and the link

"According to several published reports, Golden Gate Capital Corporation of Toronto, brewery entrepreneur Frank D'Angelo and a U.S. investment group which includes former CFL'er Bill Palmer, whose son is NFL quarterback Jesse Palmer."

"Golden Gate, which was interested in taking over the Renegades franchise before it was suspended by the league, has joined forces with Ottawa 67's owner Jeff Hunt, who would operate the franchise on behalf of the Toronto-based financial services company."

"The U.S. group, which is said to include between eight and 10 partners, says if it's successful, it won't be the Renegades who return to the nations capital. Philip Rimer, an Ottawa-based lawyer for former CFL owner Horn Chen, says he's been approached by the group interested in re-patriating the Rough Riders name and logo.

According to the Ottawa Citizen, the two sides have reached an agreement which would see them pay Chen $100,000 for the rights to revive the name.

"As an advisor, I recommended to them that it would be worthwhile to secure the intellectual property," Palmer tells the Citizen. "It has sentimental value, it is well-branded, and it has been around a long time." "

"D'Angelo, the chairman of Steelback Brewery and D'Angelo Brands, also expressed interest in running the Renegades before the plug was pulled. At the time, several called it a publicity stunt but D'Angelo says he is serious about his intention."

THOUGHTS

Personally I think it's really only two groups that are serious. I've heard a radio interview with D'Angelo about wanting to bring the CFL back to Ottawa and the guy came across as a carny and publicity hound. He's definitely not really serious. He'd be as bad as some of the other owners the CFL has seen in its history.

It's a very close race between the Golden Gate group and the US investors. If the CFL wants to make it locally owned then the Golden Gate group gets the nod because of the local ownership with Jeff Hunt who has done a great job of running the Ottawa 67's.

If the CFL wants a strong and stable ownership group that brings back tradition then the US group is a no-brainer. Seeing that Jesse Palmer's dad is part of the group maybe Jesse could suit up for the Rough Riders?

Ok here's the link: TSN.ca

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove