Old 08-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #2324
deeman11747
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Who is worse? I know I haven't seen anybody as bad in the last 4 years of watching baseball. He has no firm grasp of the fundamentals (kicking around grounders while transferring from the glove to his throwing arm), as all big leaguers do. Keep in mind that big leaguers should essentially succeed on all routine plays; Wily can't do this. Obviously, he can't make spectacular plays.

Please keep in mind that I am a huge Wily Mo fan and liked the trade when it was announced back in March. I consider all Wily Mo at bats must see. I am merely pointing out two massive flaws in his skill set: 1) unacceptable defensive skills, and 2) striking out on 3 pitches during all nut crunching situations (and yes, that K vs. Jones in the 9th last night was a travesty from the ump; nothing Pena could do there).

I am sure the Red Sox will perform a cost benefit analysis comparing Pena's anticipated offensive production over an entire season in RF vs. how many runs he will cost the team defensively. If I had to guess based on Theo's MO, they will choose to have Pena start in RF next year because he is "cost effective" and is valuable because of this.

Personally, I would prefer they spend money to bring Carlos Lee to Boston, but I don't expect them to do this. Of course, his defensive abilities also are questionable, so is the offensive upgrade from Pena to Lee worth the tens of millions more it will cost to sign Lee? I imagine Theo would say no, but I'd like to see them do this.
Why cant they move Wily Mo to first and shift Youk around?