View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #2553
Misfit
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

I agree with camulos, the Bard deal was a panic move. I was willing to give him a chance for a good month or so but oh well. He's playing over his head in SD, but still he's better than Mirabelli at this point. They need a better backup or a young guy who could possibly take over full-time since Tek isn't getting any younger and wasn't exactly knocking out the light towers before he got hurt. And whoever they bring in doesn't necessarily need to be Wakefield's catcher. If Varitek is catching Wakefield all spring he'll get comfortable enough that he can do it. Varitek caught Wakefield most of the time in 2002 and that was perhaps Wakefield's best season of his career.

I'd like to see Papelbon in the rotation, but I don't see anyone out there who could close unless Hansen can take a huge step forward next year. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox target Ted Lilly as a fifth starter. He's not an amazing pitcher by any stetch of the imagination but he's good enough as a number 5 guy and shouldn't command Clement money. I kind of hope they don't target Julio Lugo because someone is going to overpay for him big time. Gonzalez and Loretta are both expendable, but I don't know who could fill the hole at short. My ideal lineup/rotation for next year:

1B Youkilis
CF Crisp
DH Ortiz
LF Manny
RF Pena
C Varitek
3B Lowell
2B Pedroia
SS Gonzalez

Schilling
Beckett
Wakefield
Lester
Lilly

CL - Papelbon

If Aramis Ramirez hits the free agent market the Sox should make a run at him. Mike Lowell may be a clubhouse leader and a good guy, but he doesn't bring much to the plate.