View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #2614
Thrasha
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Radio reaction aside, I think it's fair to say that Theo and his boys need to step up this offseason. If we were going to settle for this team as it is now, we'd probably be better off keeping those two Marlins and one Indian ... since that would have accomplished the same thing - rebuilding, and with a smaller payroll. I don't envy the pressure to compete in Boston and how it conflicts with establishing a long term plan, but the disappointing performances coupled with some big seasons for those departing doesn't really work for me.

(Disclaimer: CWood did not just say the Beckett deal was a mistake based on an Anibal Sanchez no hitter. )
Definitely.

An infield of Marte, Hanley, Pedrioa, Youk, would be a nice way to save money. Although light on power, it would leave us enough salary space to pick up a heavy hitter that might be a liability down the line... Like a Carlos Lee.

Edit again: Would the offices at Fenway be on fire right now had Lowell completely bombed this year?
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield

Last edited by Thrasha; 09-06-2006 at 09:53 PM.