Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
Definitely.

An infield of Marte, Hanley, Pedrioa, Youk, would be a nice way to save money. Although light on power, it would leave us enough salary space to pick up a heavy hitter that might be a liability down the line... Like a Carlos Lee.

Edit again: Would the offices at Fenway be on fire right now had Lowell completely bombed this year?
And then we'd realize we're in the American League and that infield sucks. Hanley Ramirez has an OPS 80 points higher than Alex Gonzalez but he also has 15 more errors. What have Pedroia and Marte done to make people think they're anywhere near MLB ready when they can't even stay above the Mendoza line? Anibal Sanchez has very similar stats to Jon Lester right now, but his ERA is almost 2 runs lower.

Personally, I don't think the front office deserves all the blame others think it does. This team was a legitimate world series contendor if it didn't take all the injuries. You could make the argument that they should have foreseen injuries to guys like Clement, Foulke and Nixon but losing others like Wells, Wakefield and Varitek is what killed this years team.

I agree the front office has their work cut out for them, but I don't think this team would be any better off if they didn't make those trades. We're not an organization that takes 3-4 years to rebuild, which is what it would take to see some of these guys be legitmate every day players in the American league. You just can't throw a group of 22 year olds out there in Boston and expect them to succeed.