View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #54
Chip Douglass
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23
Re: Pro or College Football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenevol
You can bring out all the records and stats and everything you want to prove your case that parity is good.

Forget about gameplay, and records, whatever.
The NFL was more fun when there was a couple truly stacked teams, and getting to that level and winning actually meant that you had accomplished something.

Sure, ratings and attendance is up, but then again, American Idol is the most popular show on TV. To me, that says more about the audience than the show.
Well, I'm bringing a factual argument to the table. I'm not going on a limb and saying, "Well, the NFL was more fun back then." Why? Because the Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys had 15 Pro Bowlers on each squad? The way you'll want it, 3-4 teams should be heads-and-shoulders above the rest of the leauge, and then you'll have the rest. If it requires talent-laden teams to draw your attention, then you shouldn't call yourself a fan. Take the perspective of a Tampa Bay Devil Rays or a Kansas City Royals fan if you want to understand the other side of the argument, because that's what you'll want in the NFL, another form of college football or the MLB.

I want every game to be competitive, everyone to have a chance, and for different varities of winning teams every so often. Let me ask you an honest question: don't you think it's more interesting to have a wide-open field other than an odds-on-favorite. IMO, it is. Look at last year's college basketball tournament. Who would have thought George Mason would have been in the Final Four? No one, that's what parity brings to the table, and they made it very exciting along the way.

Under parity, we've seen the likes of the Rams fall to the Patriots, Colts to the Steelers, Vikings to the Falcons, Packers to the Broncos, etc. To say the on-field product has declined under parity is laugable.