Old 06-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #724
tonybologna
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2007 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohlstar20
I agree that trading Escobar wouldn't be in the Braves best interest if they are planning for the future but John Schuerholz has always been a GM with the win now philosophy plus we have alot of great talent at the middle IF positions in the farm system including Brent Lillibridge and Elvis Andrus which in my opinion have just as much potential as Escobar. We need a starting pitcher that can step in right now and compliment Smoltz and Hudson because until James and Davies become more consistent every fifth day we could be in trouble down the stretch. I honesty don't see anyone in our minor league system that can do this not even our top starting prospects in Harrison or Reyes (they need more seasoning in the minors) therefore I was just throwing the option of trading Escobar out there.
We have made some pretty bum deals in the past. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Schuerholz trade someone like an Escobar to get a solid starting pitcher or two. Keep in mind that Escobar is going to be at only SS or 3B so the 2B position really has nothing to do with him. You mention the names Lillibridge & Andrus but those two guys right now aren't putting up numbers even close to Escobar in the minors. Lillibridge is mainly a solid defender & hits fair with pretty good speed. Andrus is still very young & may or may not pan out. That's why I say we keep Escobar because he has now shown what he's capable of doing for over 2 years now. He was hitting .333 with 2HR & 22RBI in the minors so he can get the job done I believe whenever that full-time chance comes to him.

I agree that we need a solid 4th & 5th guy but Davies is starting to look better so maybe we'll only need a 5th guy down the stretch. If Lance Cormier can do something then we may even have the 5th spot secure. You don't know how his injury status is going to go however. I also don't see anybody in the immediate plans in the minors to take over a spot either. I have mentioned Hodges but he has pitched only a short time as a starter & even in the majors period so you can't expect too much from him.

I know we'll make some kind of deal(s) probably at or near the trade deadline but for what kind of help? That right now would definitely be in the SP area but we might try & go after another 1B since the release of Wilson & Thorman isn't hitting with enough consistency. Teixeira(Rangers) is reportedly going to be traded plus there may be some others available too so I see that route as another possibility. Salty has been taking ground balls over at 1B but he is probably stuck this year with filling in for McCann. He will be ready for both C & 1B for next year so I feel that we may be looking at another 1B in the works for this year. I like Thorman but I don't think he's a regular 1B at this time in his career. He has too many cold streaks but can get some big hits though. Thanks!
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11