View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003, 09:46 AM   #1
mackandmoon
Rookie

OVR: 2
Why have gamers let.......

I have been scanning thru different threads & certain written articles today & it's really kinda sad that so many gamers don't care about the most important aspect of any game which is GAMEPLAY. So many of these debates are about modes/options that really don't mean too much to what the games are actually modeled after which is the GAME of FOOTBALL. The question I ask is why have gamers let modes like Franchise, Dynasty, Crib, etc. become the deciding factor in whether or not a GAME of Football is the most realistic on the market?(FPF is a gameplay mode) Have sports gamers become so shallow to the actual game of football?

Now I know I'll probably be flamed about my questioning these modes, but ask yourself why is Tecmo Bowl considered one of the greatest football games of all time & it had no fluff modes? It's kinda pathetic that certain companies know that the state of sports game players are shallow in their quest for a realistic game of football because they have become # crunchers & statboys in the like of PTI. It is beginning to puzzle me where our sports games will end up because the more we support these fluff modes the farther we will get away from the field & actual gameplay. I've already read threads where some gamers buy Madden just to sim a Franchise. You mean to tell me that gamers actually sim a football game? Have we become that lazy? Is the gameplay that bad?

I've noticed that many gamers say that Madden will be good for Franchise & ESPN will be good on the field. Well if both games aren't good on the field then what's the purpose?
VC is being singled out because they choose to concentrate on the field & keep franchise to a minimum yet everyone from Madden fans to 2k fans still aren't satisfied because they didn't include the latest stat tracking fluff mode/fantasy team mode. Many are knocking FPF before they even try it & don't want anything to do with it because it might challenge the brain & reflexes. Isn't this what videogames are supposed to do? Do any of you remember playing Contra, Ghost & Goblins, etc. where you had to actually play the game to master it or beat it? Do you remember the sense of accomplishment when you did it? Now in this day & age you can just sim a game & to a person like me who PLAY videogames it just a form of cheating!!

If we gamers don't start to support people who remember what videogames are about & keep buying into modes/options
that cover up bad GAMEPLAY then we will kill off the genre that we all supposedly love. If we keep complaining to companies that remember what videogames are about & cause them to follow other companies then we will be left without OPTIONS. I don't think any of us gamers would want to be left with no options for that would mean that we are forced into the liking/buying same thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove