View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003, 09:36 AM   #20
kirkhart
Rookie

kirkhart's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Sega marketing skills are top notch this year

so let me get this straight....Sega has done very little advertising about their game so far (about a month before their release and 2 weeks before their major competition's release) and they are marketing geniuses? and EA has been showing multiple commercials, magazine print ads, sponsoring Yahoo Fantasy Football, and providing a steady stream of information about their games for several months, as well as having an MTV special about the making of Madden 2004 (so I’ve heard) and they are doing a bad job of marketing their game? I'm no marketing expert, but I would assume that a company would want maximum exposure for their product. Every time, I see something about Madden, it increases my anticipation for the title, so EA is doing a good job in my opinion. Plus, you are forgetting that a vast majority of people who buy sports games do not post on message boards or even visit gaming websites, so a lot of consumers are essentially in the dark about Sega's title, but have seen a lot of mainstream advertising for Madden so far. What game do you think they will buy?

For the record I buy both Sega and EA games...I just like quality games (which Madden and ESPN football both are). I probably will pick up both titles this year. However, reading posts by you Sega-only fans that distort reality to satisfy your own warped theories is always good for a laugh. I guarantee if the roles were reversed and Sega was marketing their game to no end, your post would have the same title. And if ESPN football had Owner Mode and Madden had FPF, Sega-only fans would be pimping how great Owner mode is going to be and how FPF is just a ‘fluff’ mode.

Anyway, face it….Sega is far from a perfect company. They make mistakes (especially with marketing) and ESPN football will not be a perfect game. Just like EA makes mistakes and Madden will not be a perfect game. Still, I’m confident both games will be quality titles. This ‘Us vs. Them’ mentality displayed by Sega-only fans is just plain stupid (but it’s always good for a laugh).