View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003, 10:09 AM   #23
wco81
Banned

OVR: 12
Re:

Quote:

birdog said:
i bought a sammy 45-widescreen about a year ago...not knowing about the whole 720p debocle....now i'm pissed off beyond belief..why would people make games in a format that hardly no tv natively supports... ....this makes me soooo mad...oh well. at least i'll go 480p with my bose surround 5.1

You blame too many cooks on this one. The consumer electronics companies wanted only 1080i but the computer companies wanted 720p. There are merits to both formats but the ATSC chickened out and said the HDTV makers could support whichever formats they wanted to.

Well progressive support in a display requires more expensive components. And initially, most programming providers chose 1080i for the higher resolution but some, like ABC and now ESPN HD and maybe Fox, went 720p or are going to 720p.

They say 1080i is good for most movies where there isn't a lot of high-speed action while 720p is better for sports where there is always action.

When it comes to games, Xbox is using an old HDTV chip plus it probably doesn't have the power to do 1080i on sports games where there are a lot of objects on screen at once, lot of movement and where you want high or smooth framerate.

720p has fewer pixels than 1080i but the problem is that a lot of HDTV sets won't upconvert 720p into 1080i whereas HDTV tuners will convert 720p to 1080i.

Real HDTV support will hopefully come in the next generation, with even possible support for 1080p at 30 fps or better.