View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 10:45 PM   #39
Boilerbuzz
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: STOP THE WHINING! MADDEN IS VERY REALISTIC!!!...

Quote:

Whaaaazuuuuup said:
wow, i'm seriously starting to think ppl do not know how to play this game. alot of turnovers? high scores? lack of defense? what is it that ESPN does better than MADDEN aside from presentation?...

Do you REALLY want a list dude? Now, you said better, so when I break it down, I don't want ANYONE whining about me saying "Madden sucks" at these points.

1. Blocking - everything: mechanics, physics, animations, behavior. Lanes develope properly and at the right time. Pull blockers actually seal or kickout when appropriate. Look at that, a TRUE POCKET!
2. Zone coverage. What? Madden JUST THIS YEAR started to play zone more like real life - closer to what ESPN does - the zones in ESPN rotate properly. Defenders do proper drops. They'll make some bad decision on occasion, but looks like that's by design. Guys perform their responsibilities correctly.
3. Inside/outside technique MATTERS and is in the game for that matter.
4. Real combo coverages.
5. Deeper playbooks.
6. Ball physics - and you people REALLY do not want me to get too deep into this -
7. MUCH less Mario running. The originators of "getting skinny" in video games are the best at it.
8. Gang tackles that have a true to life game context. It's not just a pretty animation - a gang tackle means something in this game.
9. TRUE rhythm passing. If you don't know what that is and why it's cool, I really should just stop now then huh?
10. I have control of my guy. In BOTH games, you have times where you have no control - well that's life - if I stumble in real life, I can't go where I want to go, but in Madden, I'll get stuck on my blockers *** and it kills me. ESPN needs to kill that push the pile animation. It was cool at first, but now it's starting to annoy me.

Ten normally a good number to stop, but those are the highlights. That's just pure gameplay stuff. I haven't touch graphics, sound, animations, and other "little" stuff.

Now, I can give you a list of things that Madden does better, but I don't think they make the same impact. For franchise mode, now, that's a completely different story. Madden kills. But on the field, there's no contest.