View Single Post
Old 12-20-2003, 04:12 PM   #7
Jon22
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Frustrating NCAA Gameplay Quirks

Quote:

I played NCAA awhile when it 1st came out but then it got on my nerves pretty quickly much to my surprise. I recently picked it up again because I read people raving about it on this forum. I think most people are blinded by their love for the college game and the fluff it contains and are overlooking some major flaws. The running game is flat out atrocious both with human and AI controlled teams. Unless you are running the option or have a back rated over 90 in speed, pitch outs are a waste of a down. How this can be overlooked by everyone is beyond me. Run blocking, juke moves (number of animations in general involving the ground game are way too limited), endurance of backs are all done very poorly IMHO. When have you ever seen a quality back's effectiveness decrease as much as it does with just a couple of carries? Come on now! This needs addressed. Another glaring problem is YAC can be virtually non-existant at higher levels even with Roy Williams. Couple of computer cheats are in place to make sure this is the case. Anybody that's ever played this game at length has seen them. The first cheat involves a 99 rated Roy Williams coming across the middle wide open with lots of open field to get YAC but low and behold he drops a perfectly thrown ball. I turned the slider up and it still happens at an alarming rate. Come on! How can a problem get anymore glaring than this and still make it into the final product? This is supposed to depict college football where bigtime players explode for exciting gains in the open field. Why on earth would you put a cheat in the game to limit this stuff? Cheat 2 involves quarterback accuracy or the untimely lack there of by even the highest rated QB's when a receiver is wide open and they either throw the ball too high or behind the guy which gives the defence time to recover and again prevents the big and exciting play. Very poor. The touted ability to lead receivers in this years game isn't implemented as advertised in my opinion. What's weird is I think that the Madden 2004 engine is actually better suited for the college game in a lot of ways because of the wide open big play style that it portrays. I hope NCAA upgrades so the aforementioned can be toned down and impact players have gamebreaking ability like they should in the college game. With that being said I really like the DB play in this game as well as the presentation. These problems cause me to do the same things over and over and really hurt the variety factor on a game to game basis. It really starts to feel like the same old thing over and over again even with the different teams.

This stuff won't get addressed trust me. When madden was on SNES to now always felt the same you run into a pile ping pong alittle and fall down.