View Single Post
Old 05-13-2004, 03:18 PM   #1245
Dreamcast1
Banned

Dreamcast1's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion

I am only going to comment about this once and then I am done. About a week ago, I was ready to give up on console baseball games altogether. It was pretty obvious to me, whoever developed these games has never played serious competitive baseball. Each game has good points, but each game has definitve faults as well. The worst fault was the Lefty HR glitch in MVP. I understand with the new hitting physics, how this happened. On the PC version, no problem correct it with a patch, and EA knew this. However console owners were hosed. Then came Gomer/Kerms roster fix. Not only did they attempt to slipstream the patch into their update, which is extremely time consuming and very complicated, but they added a complete minor league roster. FOR FREE!!!(donation on paypal). In addition, they tried to address the lack of pitch movement . Have you ever stood in a batters' box and just took a 96MPH fastball, and then on the next pitch saw a changeup? Believe me, it looks like it is about 60MPH, after seeing a fastball. IMO, that is what they were trying to get the pitching to feel like. Don't always pay attenion to the pitch speeds in a video game, it is very hard to simulate a 96MPH fastball from a 35'' television. I think the pitch movements and speeds are excellent with these rosters. At least they are more realistic. On curveballs you can almost get that "knee buckling" feeling. You can actually tell it is a curveball, and not just a slower fastball.

I appreciate all the work that went into trying to make these rosters realistic, and whoever thinks this roster ruins the integrety of the game, either you have never played high-level baseball, or you don't understand that this is a video game. It is almost impossible to make it like real life, a computer program has limitations, and boundaries, that the real world dosen't. Or maybe you would like to go back to Atari baseball (6 on 6). That was fun, wasn't it? Square baseball, and robot like players. (WOW!)

Sorry about the long post, but you guys have saved this baseball video game season for me. This game may not be perfect, but then again I have not found a game that is. At least now I can play a game , and it feels like baseball!

Thanks
Dreamcast1
Advertisements - Register to remove