Home

Take me out to the Congress...

This is a discussion on Take me out to the Congress... within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
by Shawn Drotar

Splinters From The Pine's Arena

OVR: 0
Take me out to the Congress...

Boy, am I glad I'm not Mark McGwire.
Well, mostly... the millions of dollars would be nice.

Too bad "Big Mac" wouldn't say what Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmeiro would - that they'd earned theirs fairly, without resorting to illegal and unethical...{br}{br}View the Entire Article{br}
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Take me out to the Congress...

Good job, I agree with most of it.

A lot more has to be done than just this joke of a testing policy.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:44 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Good read.

My hat's off to Mark "the bumbling jackass" McGwire. He was able to erase any doubt that anyone may have as to whether or not he used steroids during his career.

Give me 8 beers, 3 shots of tequila, and 2 doses of vicodin....I'd still be able to speak with more fluidity than McGwire during that performance he graced the Congress with yesterday.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:12 AM   #4
Pro

Shamrock_11's Arena

OVR: 6

You're right.....Baseball WON'T go far enough on it's own to fix this situation. IMHO, the Gatti's and Gambino's are probably looking around wondering what the hell happened, because they aren’t the preeminent crime families in America any longer. They've been replaced by Major League Baseball/MLB Players Union, and the Catholic Church. I'm sure steroids will be cleaned up in MLB just as soon as all the priests who have been molesting children are put in jail where they belong.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:11 AM   #5
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

To be fair to Big Mac, he was in a losing situation either way. If he said he did take roids, then everybody would have said he was a cheater. If he said he didn't take roids, then almost everybody would say he's a liar.

Sosa said he has never taken any illegal performance drugs during his baseball career. How many baseball fans believe that? I'm willing to bet less than 50%.

Roids are a part of sports culture and that's never going to change. Certain people are always looking for an "edge" and when they see the potential for millions floating in front of them, it's extremely hard to resist the temptation.

Heck if I was a mid-level prospect for a MLB team that was on the bubble for becoming a major league player, I would be tempting to take roids.

Bud Selig and Donald Fehr have to take some blame for this whole fiasco. They had to have known something wrong was going on; but with millions of dollars rolling into their coffers, can you really blame them for turning the other cheek? I can't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
To be fair to Big Mac, he was in a losing situation either way. If he said he did take roids, then everybody would have said he was a cheater. If he said he didn't take roids, then almost everybody would say he's a liar.
That's true, many people would have thought of him as a cheater if he admited it, but that's pretty much what he did by not saying anything. Unfortunately the way he didn't comment on what happened made him look worse than what would have happened if he did comment I believe. I think it would have been better that he stepped up to the plate and admitted what he did, at least if he wasn't going to continue lying and deny it. Had he done this I think people and the media would have been much lighter on him, since if he told the truth and acted sorry for what he had done the country is far more likely to forgive him, although I suppose the best thing he could have done would have been to tell the truth a long time ago.

Nice article Shawn, it'll be nice to have Splinters back.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »