Home

Welcomes and Winning Elevens

This is a discussion on Welcomes and Winning Elevens within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Welcomes and Winning Elevens

My problem is not the rating, it is the rating system. Since the system only allows a high rating of 5/5 the game is definetly good enough to receive that score. It has less bugs and is more realistic than Madden or ESPN Football and should receive a higher score than those titles. On a scale of 5 it definetly deserves a 5. Now if your scale was out of 100, I would not think it would deserve a 100/100 score, more like 90/100.

But since your rating system doesn't allow that, I think it needs a 5/5. Giving it a 4/5 translates to me as 80/100 and it is a far better game than that.

Now I know you are going to say that your scores don't translate like that, which they may not, but this game is better than many games you have given 4/5 yet to casual gamers they will think the games are equal, which they are not.

Fix the system it ain't good.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #18
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDDogs
Now I know you are going to say that your scores don't translate like that, which they may not,
You're right .... they don't.

Quote:
but this game is better than many games you have given 4/5 yet to casual gamers they will think the games are equal, which they are not.

Fix the system it ain't good.
One of the most sucessful and well-knows review scoring systems in the world is a scale of 0-1 .... the 'Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down' of Siskel and Ebert. No one thinks that just because Citizen Kane and Spanglish both get a thumbs up that they are equally good movies.

At times I agree. Doing reviews, sometimes I have a hard time nailing it on a 5 point scale. Ridge Racer gave me fits. But I go back to our description of the scores, and it becomes an easy decision.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #19
Pro

The one thing I will say is that you probably would have to put a lot more time into the game to rate it on a higher scale and the reviewers probably don't have time to do that.

Maybe doing away with scores altogether and letting the gamer decide on the written review would make it better. It would also take putting a score on it out of the equation for you guys and make the reader decide if what the review said makes them want to buy the game.

Anyways, I think you guys do a wonderful job with the site and your reviews, I always look here before buying a game. I will say that this particular game is the best sports game I have ever played and I am not a big soccer fan.

But then again I am just one person and others have different ideas of what works for them.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 AM   #20
Pro

As for the Siskel and Ebert thing I usually like the movies that they don't and don't like the ones that they do. But again, everyone has there own preferences.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #21
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
The one thing I will say is that you probably would have to put a lot more time into the game to rate it on a higher scale and the reviewers probably don't have time to do that.
Personally, I've found I spend more time working on a 5 point scale. It makes for some tough decisions, and more analysis. It's easier to toss out a 87 than to decide between 4 or 5.

Had we still been on a 100 point scale, I would have given Ridge Racer a high 80's .... maybe even as high as low 90's. But with our scale, I needed to make a tough decision .... was it a truly exceptional title, or was it just really, really good?

Quote:
Maybe doing away with scores altogether and letting the gamer decide on the written review would make it better. It would also take putting a score on it out of the equation for you guys and make the reader decide if what the review said makes them want to buy the game.
Honestly, this is a fuction of the marketplace. We've considered dumping scores completely, but scores are important. The aggregators (gamerankings and the like) need scores, and they drive traffic.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »