Home

Sold separately, altogether disappointing

This is a discussion on Sold separately, altogether disappointing within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Sold separately, altogether disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnbc
If a hard drive is available at launch for the PS3 and the vast majority of games (if not all of them) support it, then casual gamers WILL buy it.
I strongly disagree. If Sony plans to release their system with a price tag of $399, it's foolish to expect the "casual" gamer to fork over the extra money to purchase a hard drive. Maybe the hardcore gamer will, but we're not talking about a $15-$30 dollar peripheral here.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully
I strongly disagree. If Sony plans to release their system with a price tag of $399, it's foolish to expect the "casual" gamer to fork over the extra money to purchase a hard drive. Maybe the hardcore gamer will, but we're not talking about a $15-$30 dollar peripheral here.

yep, you figure $400 for the console plus you will end up buying 1 or 2 games too. Now you are looking at $500 bucks. I think Sony is making a big mistake with this, but I am guessing they had no choice because they wanted to keep the price as low as possible for the PS3.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
I agree im not. At this rate I might not even buy a PS3. After I got an Xbox and XBL I hardly touched my PS2 . Im hoping 360 is enough for me.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #20
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
yeah, the price of an HD isn't the price of a controller, and wouldn't the casual gamer be annoyed that they required an addon like that? N64 did it with that additional ram or whatever (some games required it), but they even bundled it with a game in order to get people to have it...will Sony bundle a HD with a game and sell it for 50 bucks as a package? I doubt it
Old 07-05-2005, 02:24 AM   #21
MVP

dave360's Arena

OVR: 17

Didn't Kutagari come out and say that the HD will be 80 gigs or something like that? That will be well over 100 dollars I would say. I think that Sony has too many lofty goals with the PS3 that may bite in the hiney in the end. Why on earth would you put Linux on a gaming console? I understand the novelty of it, but is it practical? Most folks who have a console also have a computer and wouldn't use the internet functions on it to begin with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2005, 09:01 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
will Sony bundle a HD with a game and sell it for 50 bucks as a package? I doubt it
They did something pretty similar with the PS2 and its HDD..
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=operasport-20

However, it is unlikely even games by themselves are going to remain at $50 for any nextgen console.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:41 AM   #23
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnbc
If a hard drive is available at launch for the PS3 and the vast majority of games (if not all of them) support it, then casual gamers WILL buy it.
Even if you were correct (and the history of console peripherals says you aren't), it's not a 100% attach rate. Companies won't write for a HD if they don't know there's one available.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #24
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm going to get both, but I'm a site-owner/reviewer, so that's my job to know both.

However..

All proposed next-gen hardware specs aside- I think Sony is miscalculating 5 things.

#1. Just how old and "long-in-tooth" the PS2 hardware is currently.
#2. Just how existing PS2 folks are for a new system ASAP (milking SIX years out of a console system is a bit much)
#3. Just how attractive the proposed XBOX 360 price tag is versus their own. (and out for THIS Christmas time.)
#4. Just how instrumental being the first system with a next-gen Madden release can be to the sports gamer crowd who is seeing annoying slowdowns in many of their current gen sports games as it is.
#5. How much of a hard-sell it is for a 16 year old kid to convince his parents to go with a system that costs over $400.00. (Perhaps $450.00) when there's one at $299 by Microsoft.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »