Home

"Strategery" and "misunderestimation"

This is a discussion on "Strategery" and "misunderestimation" within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
by Shawn Drotar

Splinters From The Pine's Arena

OVR: 0
"Strategery" and "misunderestimation"

Well, at the risk of making some people upset in here (and I'm not trying to, really!), I think I've figured out the nature NCAA Football 06 after five weeks of play.

It's not a "sim".

Now before anyone goes nuts and tries to tell me that I...{br}{br}View the Entire Article{br}
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: "Strategery" and "misunderestimation"

excellent editorial.

that is the best definition of the ea football style i have read. i have tried to say the same thing before to others, but not with your clarity, but in person some argue before you even start.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
Rookie

sportzhead's Arena

OVR: 5

Very well said.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

Excellent job.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #5
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Ironically, I feel that this has been the best definition I've heard of also. I don't play football but within a title, you see the "character of a company. Not necessariily a bad thing of course. It is a good thing in its own respect. Was expecting more conflict about this. Still have time....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
Rookie

paysworld's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinters From The Pine
Well, at the risk of making some people upset in here (and I'm not trying to, really!), I think I've figured out the nature NCAA Football 06 after five weeks of play.

It's not a "sim".

Now before anyone goes nuts and tries to tell me that I...

View the Entire Article
Well you hit the nail right in the coffin my friend. I completely agree with you. This game has many sim elements to it, but when it comes down to it, if you really want to win, guess what, throw everything that's fundamentally sound out the window. It is still relatively easy to just lob one out over defenders, the mario running, ai players unaware of their surroundings. There are just so many little things, that constantly reminds you that you are still playing a game after all.

Do I criticize EA for sticking with a formula that has worked since the early 90's, off course not. The last time I checked, there still sell millions and millions of copies. When people stop buying their product, maybe a change will come. They have a winning formula and they stick with it. I grew up on Madden and Lakers vs Celtics. I still enjoy their games, but when it comes to football, The Visual Concept team just won me over.
Last year's 2K5 was far from perfect, but you know what, they just seemed at little hungrier. I pop in the game occasionally, and i'm still amazed by it. When I lost in 2k5, against friends, I knew why I lost, most of the times I was'nt executing, and I would go back to the drawing board, plotting my next game. When it came to Madden or NCAA for that matter, I took losses in stride, knowing full well, I was not playing a simulation of football, but rather an arcade version of football albeit with all the tangibles of a real football game. long live competition.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 PM   #7
Pro

Zlax45's Arena

OVR: 9

Great Article and I agree completly. When you used to struggle in the 2K games it was because your team had defincies and you had to adjust..There is not reason to adjust here.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlax45
Great Article and I agree completly. When you used to struggle in the 2K games it was because your team had defincies and you had to adjust..There is not reason to adjust here.

That's how I feel as well. If you don't stick to your teams bread-'n'-butter in the 2k series, it makes it very hard to win.

Ironically, the EA style of football sports the better "sim-stat engine" of the two in many peoples opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »