Home

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Hands-On

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Hands-On within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Hands-On

We have just posted our first hands-on impressions of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Check them out here.

Quote:
"I have a small confession to make, I'm once again addicted to a Gran Turismo game. This one being Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Even though the game still plays very similar to all the previous incarnations, the beautified graphics and intense racing action is still there and it all still makes for one heck of a fun time."
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Hands-On

Does anyone know if GT5 the full version expected out next year will have damage to cars? The review of Prologue said you could still "bump" your way to victory. Is this something they plan to address?
Old 03-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by labguy
Does anyone know if GT5 the full version expected out next year will have damage to cars? The review of Prologue said you could still "bump" your way to victory. Is this something they plan to address?
I doubt they'll address it...the entire point of this game is to drive, not race, and collect cars...

I don't know how Sony is getting away scot free releasing this Prologue for way too much and making people wait years more for the "real version"....EA gets absolutely killed for Madden and stuff yet GT gets a complete pass?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I doubt they'll address it...the entire point of this game is to drive, not race, and collect cars...

I don't know how Sony is getting away scot free releasing this Prologue for way too much and making people wait years more for the "real version"....EA gets absolutely killed for Madden and stuff yet GT gets a complete pass?
yes and no. the hardcore crowd just WANTS something so they'll get it. the gamer that likes or maybe loves driving games esp GT WILl at least "think" of picking it up. It's a very QUICK play IMHO though this prologue version. the courses are VERY few and really don't look THAT much diff than what was een in the demo that was released earlier.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Rookie

This is just my opinion so don't flame me to bad...but to answer the earlier question about Sony getting a pass and EA getting beat up, I think because GT is not an annual release that Sony decided to put out a portion of what they had (fewer cars and tracks) and give the people a taste. Now we can argue price (40 bucks does seem steep), but really if I were them I would set the price high too. If the demand is there it will sell and if not they will reduce the price. The consumer is not being cheated though because they know going in what they are getting. Now if it has a bunch of bugs then that is another story.

EA on the otherhand puts out Madden for instance and it is missing a lot of features that previous versions had (formation subs, O-line blocking shifts, etc) and it also has a defective franchise mode. The game had flaws great enough that a patch was released. So the consumer thought they were getting a completed product. That is the difference in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Rookie

One more point I wanted to make. Also the GT designers have made a pretty big leap in this edition of the series. Here are the big changes:

1080 graphics
60 fps frame rate
cockpit view mode
online racing for first time (big feature)
other online extras (tv programs)

Madden added gang tackling which was cool but that was about it. Framerate was slow on PS3. Madden still does not have an online league feature. So if they don't plan to drastically improve the game each year then just charge me 5-8 bucks for a roster update. And maybe only put the game out every other year.

So I think the reason GT gets the pass is because they are honest up front with the consumer. EA hipes the sh*t out of their games and then stick their head in the sand when the game draws criticism. When people drop 60 bucks they expect to have a BETTER experience than the last version of the game.

Ok I will get off my soapbox now. I don't want to hijack this thread. My initial question was just to inquire about car damage since it was commented on in the review.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by labguy
One more point I wanted to make. Also the GT designers have made a pretty big leap in this edition of the series. Here are the big changes:

1080 graphics
60 fps frame rate
cockpit view mode
online racing for first time (big feature)
other online extras (tv programs)

Madden added gang tackling which was cool but that was about it. Framerate was slow on PS3. Madden still does not have an online league feature. So if they don't plan to drastically improve the game each year then just charge me 5-8 bucks for a roster update. And maybe only put the game out every other year.

So I think the reason GT gets the pass is because they are honest up front with the consumer. EA hipes the sh*t out of their games and then stick their head in the sand when the game draws criticism. When people drop 60 bucks they expect to have a BETTER experience than the last version of the game.

Ok I will get off my soapbox now. I don't want to hijack this thread. My initial question was just to inquire about car damage since it was commented on in the review.
Yeah, don't want to hijack. I just expect more than this when they've had like 4 years to develop a game, you know? But I don't think GT will ever have damage due to car manufacturers not letting them...at least that's what I've always heard online...

I don't blame Sony one bit for milking people who will pay for this...just seems like people take it up the arse and smile when it comes to GT, but bitch about the cost of DLC, games in general, etc at other times. All this is for another thread though, sorry...

Last edited by mgoblue; 03-26-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Rookie

Well according to the recent article posted on the site, car damage is on the way. If they found a way to put that in for next year's release of GT5 I would be one happy gamer!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »