Home

Madden NFL 09 Producer Blog

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 09 Producer Blog within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Madden NFL 09 Producer Blog

I'm not going to get all excited this year for Madden. I'm really do think they are dumbing the game down to appeal to the people who don't even know what football is. Hardcore gamers are a small portion in the grand scheme of things so welcome to blitz EA style. Thinking back, did their street football or sports franchise bring in many gamers with their pick up and play features? Just wondering since we are the few who really ask for realism.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 11

It's a given that EA through its marketing campaigns, blogs, interviews, etc. will hype, spin, and market the game--that's their job. However, it's up to the consumer to "buyer-beware". Given their history in regard to hype matching reality, I believe this is a reasonable thing to do.

I believe the marketing between now and August will be fun and interesting to hear (kind of like Bigfoot-sighting stories), but nothing I'll take very seriously until I have a chance to rent it and/or get the impressions from those who have had some time with it post-release. If it appears quality-control testing was a point of emphasis for '09, and it is generally well-received by consumers (not review sites like IGN, etc.), I will gladly consider giving EA my money. Otherwise I will pass.

Perhaps others who are brand-loyal, or otherwise simply excited from the marketing campaign will purchase it day one, and more power to them. I, however, cannot do that anymore.

Last edited by Flamehead; 04-12-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #19
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
I'm not going to get all excited this year for Madden. I'm really do think they are dumbing the game down to appeal to the people who don't even know what football is. Hardcore gamers are a small portion in the grand scheme of things so welcome to blitz EA style. Thinking back, did their street football or sports franchise bring in many gamers with their pick up and play features? Just wondering since we are the few who really ask for realism.
Not sure how popular Street was, but it's no longer being made I think (could be wrong). So it makes sense for EA to bring some of its qualities to Madden.

I don't think it's a huge deal providing EA separate the two successfully. Not sure if anyone else remembers this, but Madden did use to have an Arcade mode. I distinctly remember a power-bomb style tackle and other crazy moves. I think it was Madden 2001. Maybe it was just the PC version.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
c-boy,
Neither one of your posts add anything to this discussion while both of ours are trying to make the point that FRANCHISE MODE needs to be a priority of EA's ... not just the little cheat glitches! I have not seen any one of those glitches he mentioned during any of the games I have been a part of. I would however be very excited to hear him talk about the vast improvements they intend to make to franchise mode, so that we can once again have a franchise mode reminiscent of the 04/05' years.
first of all, thank you for monitoring my posts.

Second, again, he was only giving examples of what they have/were fixed/fixing. They have yet, to announce all of the new features and what aspects of the game have been improved.

Does that add something to the discussion?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #21
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
He's supposed to say what he said. That isn't the point though - no one is knocking him personally. Just the relevance and significance of saying it. We hear it each and every year, and it tends to lose its effectiveness when it fails to ring true time and time again.
doesn't every game company do the same exact thing?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #22
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
doesn't every game company do the same exact thing?
Probably, but what has that got to do with it? I don't think anyone's claiming EA are the sole offenders, it's just people pointing out they've heard it all before. I don't think it warrants reading into honestly, because they're 100% right - we have heard it before. I'm not sure anyone is criticizing EA for the practice necessarily, they're just putting these statements and apparent excitement from an EA rep into perspective.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #23
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Probably, but what has that got to do with it? I don't think anyone's claiming EA are the sole offenders, it's just people pointing out they've heard it all before. I don't think it warrants reading into honestly, because they're 100% right - we have heard it before. I'm not sure anyone is criticizing EA for the practice necessarily, they're just putting these statements and apparent excitement from an EA rep into perspective.
I agree that we've heard it all before, but again that is what the man is supposed to do. It happens with every game company and thats the way it should be.

And I disagree, people will criticize EA for anything.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #24
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Not sure how popular Street was, but it's no longer being made I think (could be wrong). So it makes sense for EA to bring some of its qualities to Madden.

I don't think it's a huge deal providing EA separate the two successfully. Not sure if anyone else remembers this, but Madden did use to have an Arcade mode. I distinctly remember a power-bomb style tackle and other crazy moves. I think it was Madden 2001. Maybe it was just the PC version.

I think you might be right. I just read a preview of Nascar 09 and EA is doing the same thing trying to appeal to both the hardcore and casual gamers. It sounds like it might just work and if they do the same with Madden, then we should be okay for as long as we still have our hardcore side. I don't know, I will keep my eye on it and see how it develops. Like every year, I get the game, like it for about a week and then get bored. Here is to hoping that like every year, Madden lives up to the hype.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »