Home

Don King Presents: Prizefighter First Look: IGN

This is a discussion on Don King Presents: Prizefighter First Look: IGN within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28
Don King Presents: Prizefighter First Look: IGN

IGN has posted their first look preview of Don King Presents: Prizefighter.

Quote:
"We got an early, pre-beta look at Prizefighter last week and came away with one word echoing in our heads: spectaculocity. While there's no true definition to the word that Don King uses to open the introductory cinematic to the game, we can't help but feel that it's an accurate summation for the overall tone of Prizefighter."
Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: IGN: Prizefighter First Look

3 things stuck out -
1- 80 boxers???
2- repeating story so that if you make a new boxer his hand will break every time on his 4rth fight for example...as in the scripted events are constant no matter what (too bad)
3- in ring action seems sub-par
Old 04-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Crap!..........Nevermind, this is just some cheezy linear story. Why did they do that? All I wanted was rankings and be able to choose the fights I wanted, not some scripted rocky story where the injuries are scripted. To quote Slim Shady, "That's Rock Bottom."
Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

Sounds promising
80 boxers = awesome, 30 current fighters/10 retired fighters of the last 50 years/40 generic fighters

40 generic make me excited because they will mimic fighters they could not sign for example Cotto, Mayweather, Tyson, Lewis, Klitschkos, etc. (Hopefully we can edit the generics)

For the in-ring action it needs some ironing out, but still pretty good.

Career mode being linear is similar to other boxing titles, so I am ok with it. It is a first look so we don't know the career mode in-depth yet. Hopefully it has some branching paths when you lose, win, draw, etc.

I cannot wait for this game. Presentation, soundtrack, boxers are top notch from the preview. This will be one of the few games I will get without even reading any reviews, impressions, and what not. Sometimes all the impressions can mess a game up for me. Peace.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
Sounds promising
80 boxers = awesome, 30 current fighters/10 retired fighters of the last 50 years/40 generic fighters

40 generic make me excited because they will mimic fighters they could not sign for example Cotto, Mayweather, Tyson, Lewis, Klitschkos, etc. (Hopefully we can edit the generics)

For the in-ring action it needs some ironing out, but still pretty good.

Career mode being linear is similar to other boxing titles, so I am ok with it. It is a first look so we don't know the career mode in-depth yet. Hopefully it has some branching paths when you lose, win, draw, etc.

I cannot wait for this game. Presentation, soundtrack, boxers are top notch from the preview. This will be one of the few games I will get without even reading any reviews, impressions, and what not. Sometimes all the impressions can mess a game up for me. Peace.
i agree with your points but if there is a story mode, i'd want a career mode also where you can have a stable of boxers in your own gym and have multiple boxers going w/ different styles and attributes...this 'story' being the same everytime makes the replay value go down actually rather than no story at all...it's kindof a bummer

the in-ring action sounds like it could need for than ironing out too...collision detection and lack of power
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 19

Watch the screen with the Career mode stuff...that looks deep and involving.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRGUY85
Watch the screen with the Career mode stuff...that looks deep and involving.
There are alot of questions right now. I didn't see any boxer stats on that page. Height, Weight, hand, etc.

I saw a box that said contract. Hopefully you get to choose your fights and scout opponents.

If there are a total of 80 boxers, that will greatly reduce replayability. That would mean that there is either only one class, heavyweight, that you can play or all the divisions have a serious lack of boxers in there.

Time will tell, but it leaves alot of questions.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Don King Presents: Prizefighter First Look: IGN

They dropped the ball with the career mode. If i can't pick who i want to fight, then i'd rather just keep playing fight night round 3. Im telling you man i need to be a producer for 2k.. seriously.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »