Home

NCAA Football 09 Video Interview and Official Movie 2: GameSpot

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 09 Video Interview and Official Movie 2: GameSpot within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

beau21's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: new gamespot interview video and official movie 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Did anyone notice the beginnings of the pocket in that first clip where Juice Williams drops back? It looks like the tackles are setting up to make a proper pocket but then the idiot controlling the QB continues to drop back (out of the shotgun formation no less) and the whole line has to adjust its protection.

Also, the clip at the 1:40 mark there is a pretty decent pocket created, and the stupid idiot controlling the QB fails to make use of it by stepping up into it and instead keeps dropping back away from the pocket gets and heat from a blitzing LB.

I actually think the offensive line play looked pretty good, and the game might reward people who actually play the game realistically and make proper use of the pass protection.
i took this picture of a pocket trying to form from the video:

it also looks like they've corrected how the QB holds the ball (up and down instead of towards and away from chest) from the early screens:
Old 05-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
How about the easy QB roll out??? Also after dropping back 10 or so yards it seems as if the QB is still accurate.
I just hope the sliders can help that. This is the main issue with the vids I've seen, QB are able to brake outside the tackle box & no DE is anywhere to be found. This shouldn't be allowed on All American or Heisman.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Did anyone notice the beginnings of the pocket in that first clip where Juice Williams drops back? It looks like the tackles are setting up to make a proper pocket but then the idiot controlling the QB continues to drop back (out of the shotgun formation no less) and the whole line has to adjust its protection.

Also, the clip at the 1:40 mark there is a pretty decent pocket created, and the stupid idiot controlling the QB fails to make use of it by stepping up into it and instead keeps dropping back away from the pocket gets and heat from a blitzing LB.

I actually think the offensive line play looked pretty good, and the game might reward people who actually play the game realistically and make proper use of the pass protection.
That floated my boat. And that with the online dynasty info has my curiosity up again! But there were two spots where there was a pocket forming and the Juice throw on the cross was either tipped or didn't have the zing on it. I want to see more vids like this. But the offense does seem a bit too fast and powerful as of yet. I really am tired of 66 point games on 8 min. quarters. But I'm feeling a bit of love right now.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Ok, he was hit as he threw. But the WR block after the catch was sweet. Of course the player should have continued toward the sideline then up. But I like that close quarters play just getting the ball out in time because of the blitz. Not bad at all. And I did notice the lineman picking up the double team. Semi herky jerky lookin, but it shows they are working on that. Okay I'm tempted.....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
That floated my boat. And that with the online dynasty info has my curiosity up again! But there were two spots where there was a pocket forming and the Juice throw on the cross was either tipped or didn't have the zing on it. I want to see more vids like this. But the offense does seem a bit too fast and powerful as of yet. I really am tired of 66 point games on 8 min. quarters. But I'm feeling a bit of love right now.
I agree that the offense looks a little too formidable but I'm going to guess that the video was shown on one of the lower two difficulty settings.

The real key about defense will be about how DE play has been improved and also how cover has been improved. The things about the passing game and pass defense in the EA games is that the DB's make too many plays because the QB AI is very limited in how it can throw the ball.

In real life a WR may be effectively defended just by a CB doing a good job running with him and the QB might still try to complete a pass but will just throw a much more difficult ball for any player on the field to get often resulting in a clean miss of anyone. In the EA football games the only incomplete passes seem to be on passes that are defended by a DB (or leaping LB). They're never simply missed because the QB had to throw a tough pass to both try and complete it and to keep it from being turned over. This relates back to the passing mechanics in the game and the QB throw power and accuracy ratings which I've never really felt were implemented very well.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 05-08-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
I just hope the sliders can help that. This is the main issue with the vids I've seen, QB are able to brake outside the tackle box & no DE is anywhere to be found. This shouldn't be allowed on All American or Heisman.
It's not a "pocket" problem. It's a blocking mechanic problem. Yes, there is a curved formation in front of the QB, but the DEs are still stuck to the OTs. It looks like a pocket, but I don't think this is what most have in mind.

2 things I'd like to see: 1. A system where the blocker & defender don't always engage. They need a way for blocks to be successful without the defender getting stuck to the blocker. Sometimes a successful block is simply sealing a defender off. Blockers shouldn't be able to stop defenders from moving laterally without holding.

2. The engaged blocks need some mobility. When players are engaged, they need to be able to flow towards the play. This is another way a block can be successful without nulifiying the defender completely, or pancaking him. The blocker should be able to ride the defender beyond the play.

With this "pocket" we see in the vids, QBs can still moonwalk out of the pocket because these 2 things are not in the game. It doesn't matter that the DE/OT get depth if they're still stuck to eachother. The DEs need to be able to move freely, except through the OT. Add some hand fighting.

I did see one promising clip where an Auburn DE was touched by an OT but didn't engage. But I think it was because of a well timed swim move. But it looked perfect.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

It really is true about the DE play. I think overall the mechanic of player interaction in these football games needs to be brought into the next-gen. I mean why are we still using the exact same dated mechanic from the PS1?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
I agree that the offense looks a little too formidable but I'm going to guess that the video was shown on one of the lower two difficulty settings.

The real key about defense will be about how DE play has been improved and also how cover has been improved. The things about the passing game and pass defense in the EA games is that the DB's make too many plays because the QB AI is very limited in how it can throw the ball.

In real life a WR may be effectively defended just by a CB doing a good job running with him and the QB might still try to complete a pass but will just throw a much more difficult ball for any player on the field to get often resulting in a clean miss of anyone. In the EA football games the only incomplete passes seem to be on passes that are defended by a DB (or leaping LB). They're never simply missed because the QB had to throw a tough pass to both try and complete it and to keep it from being turned over. This relates back to the passing mechanics in the game and the QB throw power and accuracy ratings which I've never really felt were implemented very well.
Yeah that comes back to that being fun and finding that sweet spot. It 's just like penalties. I've never understood why there aren't more. If I'm playing in a hostile stadium and have a RT who's rated a 78 vs. a DE who's rated 92 what's the issue? It's false starts and holds all day unless I get him blocking help. And his composure should be up and down all game based on his performance. Same with LB's covering TE's or your poor corner trying for dear life to cover Randy Moss. No proper help or calling the right Defense, it's PI or burnt. I love to win as my Bengals but all of these factors as well as Team Chemistry should be challenges that I have to overcome. Sorry I'm mixing games/forums. But you get my point. Those kind of things are football. It affects Pros and really affects College kids. I think that they're trying to implement that. It just matters that it isn't window dressing. The QB with a low composure rating should really be short arming the throws or just be behind on the crossing route or slant. It'll make you start dinking and dunking to get his composure up and calling blocking help for that RT who can't handle that DE alone. That's FUN!!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »