Home

Don King Presents: Prizefighter On the Spot Demo Video: GameSpot

This is a discussion on Don King Presents: Prizefighter On the Spot Demo Video: GameSpot within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Swiper

hdaniel1's Arena

OVR: 48
Don King Presents: Prizefighter On the Spot Demo Video: GameSpot

GameSpot has posted their "On the Spot" Demo video of Don King Presents: Prizefighter.
Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Don King Presents: Prizefighter On the Spot Demo Video: GameSpot

im not really impressed
Old 05-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14
I just hope there are more camera views than the one shown in the final minute of that interview. They do have a lot of venues and the game does look cool and I will buy it, however I am not sold on the mechanic. The punches between Pavlik and Calzaghe did look rather slow and collision detection looked dull when compared when compared to like Victorious Boxers for example. Blocking seemed nonexistant from that one minute clip. The game does intrigue me and I am sure it will be fun, but we will have to see the level of customization it really has. I guess an in-game referee with clinches are still too much to ask of "next-gen" developers these days. I wonder how the Wii version will turn out when that comes out in September.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 28

This has been out for a few days now and there is a HUGE outrage going on about it. Seems the guy up there was pretty much clueless to what he was doing, so the 2K admin's who have played the game say. I say cut the guy some slack though. Here he is trying to do an interview and has just been told you got about 5 seconds to show us some gameplay so it just looks like he was just swinging away with no real purpose. One thing I did like was the fatigue meter. At least it seems that will keep this from being a button mash fest. Should slow the game down to a realistic boxing rate.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Banned

Agreed that the fatigue meter is tight. However the mere existence of the meter doesn't mean that the game accurately accounts for fatigue, stamina, and endurance. In Hajime No Ippo 2 : VIctorious Road for PS2, for example, there is no meter but stamina is accurately portrayed for the most part throughout the game and it is varied depending on how you train your fighter.

I suspect that Prizefighter will have some cool things that Fight Night Round 4 may not have, but at the same time, I suspect it will still be lacking some simulation aspects of boxing. Lets give 2K credit though. The arenas and ring entrances do appear top notch. There are a lot of arenas and there are a lot of great boxers. The gameplay does look like it could be cool. We as gamers just need to see more of it. The fact that there is still debug code in the build tells us that the interface has not bee streamlined and the devs are still verifying things pulling through back and forth from interface and gameplay.

One thing I want to see is whether fighters have different hand and foot speed, if they vary realistically on the type of fighter. I hope I can really outbox with appropriate boxers. I hope that, for example, I can outbox effectively with Larry Holmes, throwing that jab from a safe position. A Prime Larry Holmes relied on his lateral movement to fire that jab to keep his opponents off.

In terms of that interview, it seemed like the guy in the interview was clueless. At least for All Pro 2K8, they had Jeff Nelson in there talking about the game seeing as he was the actual project manager of the game. It also seemed like this guy for Prizefighter thought that the interview was much longer than it actually was (11 minutes), even though the host said that the interview was actually LONGER than usual. Gamespot's gotta get that communication down. And honestly, what is more important fight now than this game in terms of new sports games this summer? Why not let the interview go 20 minutes? Why not? Out of 11 minutes of an interview, we get less than 1 minute of actual gameplay. About 5 minutes of it was just showing the two talking, and the other 5 minutes was spent in videos, loading, videos, loading, skipping through areas. Why not just show an That will generate the most excitement from the game. He even had to button through the intros just to get to the boxing! Gamespot's gotta manage their time better than that.

Also, one final question. Why were the rounds only 2:00 long in the Exhibition match? Why were the training rounds only 1:00 long? Shouldn't 3:00 rounds be standard throughout the game for a boxing game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU_DW2

Also, one final question. Why were the rounds only 2:00 long in the Exhibition match? Why were the training rounds only 1:00 long? Shouldn't 3:00 rounds be standard throughout the game for a boxing game?
I am glad they have the option of using 2 minute rounds. 3 minutes is just too long for a video game. I don't want to play Madden with only 15 minute quarters and I don't want to play a boxing game with 3 real minute rounds. It throws the stats out of whack.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I am glad they have the option of using 2 minute rounds. 3 minutes is just too long for a video game. I don't want to play Madden with only 15 minute quarters and I don't want to play a boxing game with 3 real minute rounds. It throws the stats out of whack.
Not if the game is accurately paced and depicted. How would it throw stats out of whack? You probably say that because without clinches, you only get about 2 minutes of action in some boxing matches where there is a lot of holding. For some fights, rounds go by and the ref never even has to clinch. For those matches, they are boxing for 3:00. It should be the same by default in a game. Since it's a game, the user should be able to, of course, set the number of rounds and the length of time of the rounds. (or the speed at which the clock ticks if it's faster than standard seconds) If you want to play it on 2:00 rounds then set the interface to that. But by default, it should mimic how it exists in real life, lasting 3 minutes long. This also is key in scoring because it provides more time for judges to separate fighters. If a round is close after 2:00, if you set it to 2:00 then you should have mostly 10-10 rounds. If it's close, a strong rally in the final 3rd minute of the round could be what the judges determine warrants a 10-9 round. It also is vital to determining accurate stamina and how long fighters are on their feet at a time. It would be more arbitrary and undeserving to be exchanging 10-9 scores with 2:00 rounds.

It's not to say that games that run in double-time by default with no option to change the time the rounds last, and result usually in 1:30 rounds are inferior.

Most games (like Madden) aren't good enough to play a full time 60:00 game. But for games like NCAA Football 06 on Xbox1 (and multiplayer on NCAA Football 07 and 08), I can go 15 minutes quarters and not be bored at all, on Heisman gameplay at least. It is fun since it's a battle of attrition. It just depends on how much patience you have and how much time you have to devote to "a game". Sports games these days just aren't well rounded enough for users to play full time games. But there should always be an option for a user to do that. And there really should be a difficulty level to match what would likely happen in a real life full time game. Like realistic scoring and stats. Like in Fifa and Winning Eleven, there is no option to play a full 90:00 match. (except on Fifa World Cup 06 I think had 90:00 matches) Most of the time I'd want to play like a 30 minute match, but I'd still like to have the option to play a full 90:00 match if I really wanted to test the gameplay. Maybe one day games will be so immersive and realistic (and without bugs) that gamers would want to play full time matches. maybe multiplayer gaming wouldn't have to worry about lag and would actually have incentive to play long matches. Maybe it could save after every quarter in case there was a multiplayer disconnect. But timing is very different in football (like playing a 5:00 quarter game versus a 15:00 quarter game) than a 2:00 round to a 3:00 round is in boxing. In boxing, historically the time a round lasts is vital to how boxing is scored. That is the time that the judges have before they mark down a proper score.

Women's boxing has 2:00 long rounds. This is not a women's boxing game. If I take on Kenny Norton with Larry Holmes, I want 3:00 minutes to be flickin that jab off Kenny Norton's face impressing those judges. I am also hoping that you can go 15 rounds in Exhibition Mode. You had that option in Fight Night Round 3. (and previous Fight Night games)

It'd also be nice to go through the story mode with championship bouts being 15 rounds. They should have an option for that to be 12 or 15 rounds.

It will be interesting to see whether or not 2K has even had time to think about "little" things like this. These are things that may or may not be in there, but should be in any boxing game.

You gotta remember devs are always trying to make money, and cutting their own work time as well wherever possible. So they sometimes forget stuff and then it's too late to go back into embedded code. That's where good QA departments come in and make sure they have all the issues laid out to the devs with plenty of time for the devs to fix them, or even add stuff in some scenarios. Lets just hope that they give the user the level of customization that gamers expect with a "next-gen" title sports title like this.

There's no question that the game will look great and bring the bright lights of championship boxing to sports fans of all ages. The question is will there be enough depth to the interface and to the control mechanics to keep us coming back for more? I hope there is no need for patches. I hope there are no glaring issues. I hope the devs had ample time to refine this engine and everything in debug code is matching up. I wonder how different the Wii version will be from the 360 version. We will soon find out.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

^^Just give me the option to play rounds however long I want to play them. Just like I said, I don't play football games with 15 minute quarters so I don't want to play a boxing game with 3 minute rounds. In real boxing there can often be 15 or 20 second lulls without a punch thrown, multiple clinches, ref taking his time separatring fighters, etc. In a video game, 3 minute rounds will most likely result in 100+ punches per round and consequently too many KO's.

I am not going to debate with you about playing NCAA football on 15 minute quarters, but if I did that I would roll over the 100 point mark in most games I played with ridiculous stats because I get a realistic amount of plays with 7 minute quarters.

Too each his own, just give me options unlike FN which was 3 minute round only in career mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »