Home

NHL 09 Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: NHL 09 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
It running interference not interface. The legal way of doing it is bascially parking yourself right in front of him to prevent him from seeing the puck and the play. If you back into him or prevent his free movement in the blue paint with your legs or stick then it become an interference penalty.
Unless you are Tomas Holmstrom who gets called for goalie interference for just standing in the general vicinity of the crease (non-Wings fan BTW)
Old 06-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubey
Can someone clear up for me what "Running interface with the goalie" means?

Also, how will using the right thumbstick to poke and sweep check be different than holding down RB and using the R stick in 08?

I'm sort of confused on those two points.
It won't be, they did it cause it was difficult for several people to hold RB and use the right stick together because it would cause different issues. If anything it should make it easier for guys like me that use the stick more than the body.

It would have been better to just make the left stick be what you use the guide in for natural collisions instead of a button, but I guess people have the need to have a "button" for the auto big hit.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
Pro

Lubey's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
It running interference not interface. The legal way of doing it is bascially parking yourself right in front of him to prevent him from seeing the puck and the play. If you back into him or prevent his free movement in the blue paint with your legs or stick then it become an interference penalty.
Wow I feel like an idiot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #12
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

"As they celebrate their centennial in the league you will see old time players without helmets and a special in game addition that EA was pretty hush hush on at this time for the Habs it appears."

Legends are in the game? This must be one of the things EA is holding back. It would be sweet to see HoF'ers like Orr, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Gretzky, Howe, Richard, Hull, Yzerman, Harvey, Langway, Bossy, etc.. in the game.

I haven't read all the previews but I wonder if EA has put in the option of changing the game clock by whatever minute we want instead of 5/10/20 mins. Also I wonder if goalies like Turco and Brodeur will come out of their net more often to play the puck.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 12

This game is sounding awesome.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
"As they celebrate their centennial in the league you will see old time players without helmets and a special in game addition that EA was pretty hush hush on at this time for the Habs it appears."

Legends are in the game? This must be one of the things EA is holding back. It would be sweet to see HoF'ers like Orr, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Gretzky, Howe, Richard, Hull, Yzerman, Harvey, Langway, Bossy, etc.. in the game.

I haven't read all the previews but I wonder if EA has put in the option of changing the game clock by whatever minute we want instead of 5/10/20 mins. Also I wonder if goalies like Turco and Brodeur will come out of their net more often to play the puck.
The only team that is likely to have the old timers is Montreal as I stated because they are having their 100th anniversary.

There will be no other old time players in the game unfortunately.

Game clock is still only 5, 10 and 20 minutes for period options.

Goalies when controlled by the computer will play even more like their real life counterparts. Those goalies were more likely to play the puck in '08 though, so it might not be that drastic of a change from this year.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #15
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
"The producers were sure to explain to us that hitting from behind can result in a penalty however in this game now, as well as running interference on the goalie, so pick your pressure accordingly."

First I've heard this too - great preview Patrick...
Thank you! The game is sounding pretty good about now, and they definately have the model upon which to build a winner with. Just have to wait and see what they are going to show us with their big surprise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

so in spite of some of the new positives being put into this game, it looks like we're still years away from a polished product...sigh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »