Home

MLB Power Pros 2008 Hands-On Previews (IGN, Gamespot)

This is a discussion on MLB Power Pros 2008 Hands-On Previews (IGN, Gamespot) within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: MLB Power Pros 2008 Hands-On Previews (IGN, Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Thanks for the info.

From the vids it looks like hitting is done by aligning your bat cursor with the pitch cursor before the ball is thrown. Is that correct? That seems extremely easy to hit if that's the case.
It sounds easy, but it's really not. In normal batting mode, the size of your batting cursor depends on the batter's stats and the situation. This will change as the situation changes, so if your batter is terrible in 0-2 situations the batting cursor will shrink a bit when it becomes 0-1 and even more when 0-2. A smaller cursor obviously makes it harder to get a clean hit. When switching to a power swing, the cursor shrinks to the size of the pitching cursor, the small sweet-spot area of the bat.

There are several options to make batting easier or harder as well if you feel you're starting to master your current settings and are getting unrealistic results. You can turn off the pitching cursor, make the batting cursor harder to control (digital vs analog control), and increase or decrease the amount of homing assistance (the "lock-on" setting, which helps the batter by automatically moving the cursor towards the right spot. The lower the setting, the later in the pitch the movement occurs).
Old 06-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Great, thanks for the insight.

The situation-specific cursor size sounds awesome, I had always hoped 2K would incorporate something similar before they ditched the cursor hitting (fools!)

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

This game just moves along so well in Human v Human.
I just played my son with last years game on my PS3.
We got 9 innings in in 23 minutes.
When we play the show he looses interest by the 5th inning.
This is the way to go for a game with the family.
It is not in any way a kids game though but can be played by kids when the aids are turned on.
When I set the hitting to 1 manual and all aids off I can manage about 7 hits in a game and the games are 3-2 affairs.

Walks are very hard to come by but I am over that totally.

I had the game for the Wii and did not like the controls at all.
In any mode it was sort of clumsey.
I sold in and got the PS3/2 version. PLays great.

I will by MLB PP 08 on day one.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

I am really hoping this game provides us with an easy option to update the rosters. Never could figure out exactly how to do it last year. I've not heard if that is the case though. Give me updateable rosters and walks and this is an immediate buy for me. Otherwise I'll most likely stick with last years version. This game is so good in many areas but the two things I mentioned really need to be addressed.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #21
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by opd897
I am really hoping this game provides us with an easy option to update the rosters. Never could figure out exactly how to do it last year. I've not heard if that is the case though. Give me updateable rosters and walks and this is an immediate buy for me. Otherwise I'll most likely stick with last years version. This game is so good in many areas but the two things I mentioned really need to be addressed.
Yeah, you had to unlock arrange mode, which I think will probably how we'll have to do it again this year...it's actually pretty easy to unlock, but it's just not as easy as it should be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #22
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
I've never played it human vs. human, since there isn't online and I don't have 2 ps2 controllers to play it against someone.

The DS version isn't going to have success mode, MLB life mode, or season mode according to 2ksports.com. Also, it says that the ps2 and wii version are going to have the same features, so I'm not sure why the ps2 version is going to be $20 and the Wii version is going to be $40 but I'm glad I only have to pay $20 for the new game. http://www.gamestop.com/browse/searc...%20Pros%202008
Reading that killed my enthusiasm for the DS version. 2K continues to set portable sports games back.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #23
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776

The DS version isn't going to have success mode, MLB life mode, or season mode according to 2ksports.com. Also, it says that the ps2 and wii version are going to have the same features, so I'm not sure why the ps2 version is going to be $20 and the Wii version is going to be $40 but I'm glad I only have to pay $20 for the new game. http://www.gamestop.com/browse/searc...%20Pros%202008
Okay, good info, thanks. That's a bummer. I'm beginning to wonder how I justify this game for Wii if the motion controls don't add anything and if it's TWICE the price. Has anyone used the motion controls that can talk about if they're any good or not? (My guess would be no)

As for the cursor batting, I really liked that in older games like World Series Baseball for Genesis, and thought that games like MVP and the current MLB 2k games really dumbed down hitting. The Show uses zone batting that is basically the same as cursor batting, except you don't see it.

I like it because it's the best way to simulate tracking a pitched baseball with a control pad, and because it really draws attention to the different skill levels of players. Having a giant contact area with a hitter like Ichiro would make you feel confident as a hitter, whereas the hitting area for Richie Sexson should be so small that you can't make it out without an HDTV...haha.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #24
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonytheclown
Yes, I have played the previous MLB Power Pros, and yes 2K is affiliated with this game. And yes....the "series" has the problems that I suggested they won't fix in this upcoming game. Just you wait and see. I will gladly eat crow with fresh tire marks if I'm wrong, but history tells me otherwise. Appreciate your personal attack.
lol, personal attack. Sensitive much? The game is made by Konami and published here by 2k. It's a Konami game. As i said, do some research with the game before posting nonsense as if any problem is 2k's fault.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »