Home

NCAA Football Defensive Strategy: Cornerback

This is a discussion on NCAA Football Defensive Strategy: Cornerback within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NCAA Football Defensive Strategy: Cornerback

After last week's look at the safety position, Noah Weber checks in this week with another take on a defensive position. This week it is the corner back, perhaps the most difficult position to play in football video games. Check out his article, NCAA Football Defensive Strategy: Cornerback.

Quote:
"Cornerback is by far the most difficult position to operate from in a video game. The primary reason is that the corner is often off-screen, or is assigned to cover a receiver who may spend much of a play completely out of view. Combined with the massive amount of responsibility that comes with the position, one should only elect to manually control a corner if they are looking for a challenge. That being said, the reward for playing it well can be worth the risk. Here are a few tips to help you manage the hot corner, start locking down receivers, and begin jumping passes to take picks back to the house for six."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
MVP

BoomerSooner11's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: NCAA Football Defensive Strategy: Cornerback

Great article and good tips, to be honest I have never wanted to play the cornerback position, primarily because im a noob and am afraid im gunna get owned lol. Im pretty open to try it this year though.

But one thing I think is going to be difficult, I've read that the speed ratings have been changed, so for ex: if your covering Maclin who im just guessing..say is a 99 spd..with a corner who is a 97 spd, you have to get a great angle or your pretty much screwed..thats what I got out of it but idk, guess I will just have to wait and see.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
MVP

CcAaRrSsOoNn3's Arena

OVR: 26

I love user controlling the Corner. I do it every game I play. Put me one on one with their best. Pretty basic with your angles. Cut off all slants, ins, posts etc.

Corner A.I. has came along way since the 07 days. When you could be 20 yards deep, and run in a dead sprint and still get smoked by Calvin Johnson!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Rookie

NCAAFootballFreak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner11
Great article and good tips, to be honest I have never wanted to play the cornerback position, primarily because im a noob and am afraid im gunna get owned lol. Im pretty open to try it this year though.

But one thing I think is going to be difficult, I've read that the speed ratings have been changed, so for ex: if your covering Maclin who im just guessing..say is a 99 spd..with a corner who is a 97 spd, you have to get a great angle or your pretty much screwed..thats what I got out of it but idk, guess I will just have to wait and see.
I don't mind that. I've never minded getting beat deep by a guy who's speed is actually faster than mine. It's when a guy that's like an 86 gets a step on me and my 95-speed guy somehow continues to lose ground and never gets within four yards of the guy as he goes 78 yards for the TD that p!sses me off. So hopefully, this re-working the speeds will make that occur a lot less.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10
Yea very good article. I play corner from time to time when i play my dynasty b/c i always play with the best player on my defense no matter what the position to keep a low rated player from overachieving if i play with them. After reading the artcle it sounds pretty dead on with what i do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
MVP

BoomerSooner11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAFootballFreak
I don't mind that. I've never minded getting beat deep by a guy who's speed is actually faster than mine. It's when a guy that's like an 86 gets a step on me and my 95-speed guy somehow continues to lose ground and never gets within four yards of the guy as he goes 78 yards for the TD that p!sses me off. So hopefully, this re-working the speeds will make that occur a lot less.
Ya I don't mind that much either, I was just pointing it out, but I really am glad that they reworked the speed. It'll be alot more realistic and accurate. Although kickoffs are gunna be a doozy.

Last edited by BoomerSooner11; 07-09-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34
great article and i like to play corner in the videogames so these pointers will work for me. the greatest thing is the backpedaling because at the precise time you can break out of your pedal for the int. this is going to be a awesome year for football.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8
i would like to play corner sometimes, but i just usually stick with the LB or DT until the pass, then click over to the DB after that.. yeah i know its kinda cheesy.. but hey.. works for me.. lol!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »