Home

NHL 09 Hands-on (IGN)

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Hands-on (IGN) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 09 Hands-on (IGN)

Will the AI defend their own zone more aggressively? That's what I want to know. If I can continue to skate across the CPU's blue line without contest, then all the other improvements mean f***-all.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
meh
Rookie

OVR: 4

awesome - if they can really pull this off and better 08 than damn ill flip them £100 for the game
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
MVP

chia's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm not even a hockey fan (I know I could get blasted for that statement) but after reading about the improved Be-A-Pro mode I am eager to pick this game up on release day, it sounds freakin amazing!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

It sounds like they are fixing two of my biggest problems from 08. Toning down pass accuracy should help the game play much better.

Defensive controls.... all I can say is FINALLY! NHL 08 was only half finished because they left out the entire defensive side of the game.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 7

yes...definitely adding D-fense to the game is a big plus...hopefully the hits are good..I enjoyed hitting in NHL 99/2000 on PC where the hits were size and physics based and glass would shake subtly adding to realism.
They should add individual goal horns for each team, edit music in arena, animated scoreboard, arena specific chants, audio-Blues drums,octopusses in Detroit,etc

More puck physics, less accurate passes depenedent on player rating ability and situation, more individual abilities and tendencies.

Cmon EA give it to us in August...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
It sounds like they are fixing two of my biggest problems from 08. Toning down pass accuracy should help the game play much better.

Defensive controls.... all I can say is FINALLY! NHL 08 was only half finished because they left out the entire defensive side of the game.
Thats not entirely true, 08 has sweeping poke checks, the're just not as smoothly implimented as they appear to be in 09, it also lets you lay down your stick to block passes. I agree on the less tape to tape passing, thats a very welcome addition.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
Will the AI defend their own zone more aggressively? That's what I want to know. If I can continue to skate across the CPU's blue line without contest, then all the other improvements mean f***-all.
You pretty much nailed it. NHL 08 made great strides last year, but was overrated in my book because defensively the game was still lacking by both your own AI and your AI opponent. It was sitll way to easy to break out of your zone, break centerice and the AI put up no resistance at the blue line.

If EA can improve the defense, add more boardwork deep in the corners then NHL 09 will be a fabulous game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL
You pretty much nailed it. NHL 08 made great strides last year, but was overrated in my book because defensively the game was still lacking by both your own AI and your AI opponent. It was sitll way to easy to break out of your zone, break centerice and the AI put up no resistance at the blue line.

If EA can improve the defense, add more boardwork deep in the corners then NHL 09 will be a fabulous game.
Great Post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCo-LINEBACKER-
Yes, theyre are, healthy people to, not the obese kind.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »