Home

On the Fence About NCAA Football 09

This is a discussion on On the Fence About NCAA Football 09 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: On the Fence About NCAA Football 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I agree. I remember playing football games because they were fun as hell to play. Now I find myself nitpickin every little thing about sports titles.

I think this happened for most of us when sports games made the jump from being blotchs on the screen to more detail realistic games. At that point we have wanted more more more more more and this has caused us to loss sight that just 10 years ago we were watching a little blue blob named thurman thomas running for the bills. We had three different running animations, left right and striaght. It was simple and that made us accept the illusion of it being "football".

Now we can see just by looking at someone through the face mask who they are. See the beads of sweet run down their face ect. We wonder why can't we do everything that the real people do on sundays.

I think we need to back away for a sec and just enjoy the game.

I think I had more fun with the first 2 Tecmo Bowls than any other football game out there and it's for the reasons you mentioned above. Back then we didn't have the internet to tell us about all the glitches and bugs before we even bought the game, and we didn't have sliders to adjust. We played the game as it was and accepted it because it was simple and fun and the only thing we could really do with it was play.

Last edited by crques; 07-14-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
It's ironic that people talk about how great old games like Tecmo Bowl were and bash today's games. In actualy reality, games of today blow games of the past out of the water.
You prove my point to an extent. Going back in time, games like Tecmo Bowl all followed by the golden rules of sports games. 1) It's fun. 2) There are no big glitches.

Things like graphics, realism, features, etc all come down the road, but those two must come first, IMO, because you need to build on a solid foundation. Today's games blow Tecmo Bowl out of the water in terms of graphics, features, options, etc but they have way more glitches and are not as fun & entertaining. I mean, how else can a game like MLB Power Pros survive today? Limited glitches (which almost always leads to great gameplay) and it's a ton of fun.

I really can't think of a single sports game on the nex-gen consoles that doesn't have a ton of glitches. CH2K8 wasn't bad and that's probably why many people view it as the best nex-gen sports game.

That being said, it comes with the territory since games have so much more these days and are more complicated. More features, more chances something will go wrong or contain a bug.

But again, I will stand by the idea that different people like different things in a sports game. If graphics, options and features galore are what makes you happy then you enjoy what nex-gen sports games have to offer.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywon
That's the best advice I've read on these boards in weeks.
I think the negatives in these games tend to get more attention than the positives. Just appreciate the fun of the game. I know that I can get lost adjusting sliders. You can spend hours doing that or recruiting which isn't too exciting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
I think I had more fun with the first 2 Tecmo Bowls than any other football game out there and it's for the reasons you mentioned above. Back then we didn't have the internet to tell us about all the glitches and bugs before we even bought the game, and we didn't have sliders to adjust. We played the game as it was and accepted it because it was simple and fun and the only thing we could really do with it was play.
I think this is true but to a very limited extent. I hated NCAA '05, '06 and '08 on Xbox but I love '07, regardless of what people said on here. IMO, '07 is what NCAA '05 should have been.

I mean, can you name a true glitch in Tecmo Bowl? Was there anyone who didn't have fun with Tecmo Bowl? It was wacky and arcadish but there weren't any big glitches and it was fun as hell. I don't think it was because the Net wasn't around and there was no one who could point out the flaws, I just think it was a fun, glitch-free game.

Simple and fun vs. glitches and bugs.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 07-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Rookie

Illcat's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I agree. I remember playing football games because they were fun as hell to play. Now I find myself nitpickin every little thing about sports titles.

I think this happened for most of us when sports games made the jump from being blotchs on the screen to more detail realistic games. At that point we have wanted more more more more more and this has caused us to loss sight that just 10 years ago we were watching a little blue blob named thurman thomas running for the bills. We had three different running animations, left right and striaght. It was simple and that made us accept the illusion of it being "football".

Now we can see just by looking at someone through the face mask who they are. See the beads of sweet run down their face ect. We wonder why can't we do everything that the real people do on sundays.

I think we need to back away for a sec and just enjoy the game.

I do agree; technological leaps have made us even more critical.

I think what we also need to factor in that a lot of us sports games consumers are older now and our lives are vastly different from when we were playing Madden, when he was still on the cover or Bill Walsh's College Football. I was in college back then and I'm telling you, it didn't matter so much if a sports game stunk or had it's quirks; we still played it to death. I was so irresponsible back then and money just didn't mean all that much to me. I blew through it like bags of Doritos. Now, I'm 36 and when I go get a game sure, I expect it to be fun but I also expect what I see on that screen to justify the $60 bones I just dropped on the game. My biggest gripe about sports games (especially football) is all the countless hours of tweaking that goes on after the purchase. I almost feel like I should be getting paid for the hours of work that I put in to make the game playable. Ultimately, this decreases my time in actually play with the game. But, this is the world of a sports games and I accept it because "all the classic games had glaring issues; from Tecmo Bowl to the 2K series these games had huge flaws but we were able to still enjoy the games." IMO, NCAA will be no different. If we didn't have the ability to tweak like we can now we would just play and prolly b!tch less. Sure, technology has upped what I want to see in terms of eye candy and gameplay but at the core; I just want the game to be engaging and worth my purchase.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I think this is true but to a very limited extent. I hated NCAA '05, '06 and '08 on Xbox but I love '07, regardless of what people said on here. IMO, '07 is what NCAA '05 should have been.

I mean, can you name a true glitch in Tecmo Bowl? Was there anyone who didn't have fun with Tecmo Bowl? It was wacky and arcadish but there weren't any big glitches and it was fun as hell. I don't think it was because the Net wasn't around and there was no one who could point out the flaws, I just think it was a fun, glitch-free game.

Simple and fun vs. glitches and bugs.
I guarantee that if you go back and play Tecmo Bowl for an extended period of time, you will find some kind of glitch.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 6

I have had the game since Friday. It is a great game. Go buy it. Really...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Why don't people realize that there weren't any glitches with Tecmo Bowl because it was really simple software. It wasn't advanced at all. If they game came out today it would be ripped to shreds. Weren't there only like two formations and 8 plays in that game?

If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't worry about half of these glitches. I would name OU's roster, a few stud players, and maybe the top 25 teams and be on my way.

People read up on things and start hating the game before it ever comes out. While I do think that some of the complaints are valid, in some ways the game doesn't stand a chance.

This game is better then Tecmo bowl, trust me.

Again, games aren't fun today because people find every little thing that is wrong with them and then they spend more time looking for bugs then actually enjoying the game.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »