Home

Peter Moore: "We've Helped Popularize the FIFA Organization" (Gamesindustry)

This is a discussion on Peter Moore: "We've Helped Popularize the FIFA Organization" (Gamesindustry) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Peter Moore: "We've Helped Popularize the FIFA Organization" (Gamesindustry)

Gamesindustry had a chance to talk to Peter Moore, President of EA Sports.

Quote:
"Peter Moore, president of the EA Sports label, has told GamesIndustry.biz that he believes his company's games have been responsible for turning what was previously a largely invisible organisation into the globally-recognised brand it is today."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / PSP / NDS / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Maybe stateside, but Mr Moore, you truely are one arrogant individual, if you think your game made the biggest organization of the worlds MOST POPULAR SPORT bigger. FIFA was already globally recognized. Just because you think the globe starts in LA and ends in NY doesnt mean the rest of the world agrees. And I am an American writing this.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Peter Moore: "We've Helped Popularize the FIFA Organization" (Gamesindustry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Maybe stateside, but Mr Moore, you truely are one arrogant individual, if you think your game made the biggest organization of the worlds MOST POPULAR SPORT bigger. FIFA was already globally recognized. Just because you think the globe starts in LA and ends in NY doesnt mean the rest of the world agrees. And I am an American writing this.
Amen.

Maybe off topic, but this reminds me...yesterday Bud Selig said that Yankee Stadium is the most historic or legendary stadium in the world, or something to that effect. I laughed and then felt irritated how often "the world" gets used, when really people can not see outside of our own borders.

But anyway, arrogant doesn't seem to suffice if Peter Moore thinks they popularized FIFA. If anything, they made it a more recognizable name in the states, but popularized...no.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
definition of popular: liked, admired, enjoyable. FIFA may be a known brand....but is it really liked, admired, enjoyed?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Peter Moore: "We've Helped Popularize the FIFA Organization" (Gamesindustry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeny
definition of popular: liked, admired, enjoyable. FIFA may be a known brand....but is it really liked, admired, enjoyed?
I don't think either of us were saying it's not popular, we're saying Peter Moore and those associated with him have done nothing to make it more popular anywhere outside the United States.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Good Job Peter! Keep up the arrogant and ignorant statements, that'll help EAs image.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyOrgan
I don't think either of us were saying it's not popular, we're saying Peter Moore and those associated with him have done nothing to make it more popular anywhere outside the United States.
I don't think he's *completely* off his rocker here. Sure it's a bit heady to claim EA is solely responsible, but let's look at it.

I bought a sega genesis only to play NHL 94(I think, might've been earlier). I wasn't a hockey fan, at all. But due to the game I became one, my interest in the video game caused me to watch and become interested in the real sport.

The NFL is enjoying HUGE popularity....I'm willing to bet that is in some part due to Madden and it's years of success.

I don't think it's beyond a doubt that EA's FIFA franchise has some part in maintaining and growing the popularity of soccer. Not only here in the US, but in ASIA especially. If he's saying FIFA should bow down and kiss his arse, then he needs a reality check. But the FIFA games have definitely been good for both EA and football's popularity in general.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

One word: exposure. The FIFA franchise my was first exposure to the world of professional soccer back in the mid 90s. My favorite club (Arsenal) was the first team I used in FIFA 97 (pretty sure that was it) for the PS1 and after shredding defenses with Ian Wright, they have been my team since. Not to mention an English dude named Seaman with a mustache & pony-tail was just too cool not to like.

Seriously though, I don't think he's too far off-base in saying that EA has helped to popularize FIFA or soccer in general. Certainly this statement is more applicable to some parts of the world than others, but there is at least some truth to it...

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »